1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Forum Section?

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by ldryder, Nov 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ldryder

ldryder

Sep 8, 2014
    Since this is a very large forum and attracts many new members every day, and since all of these members will be asking questions that have been answered an endless number of times, I'd like to suggest the following.

How about creating a section of the forum for Never-Ending, Pointless, or Recurring Threads?

Such a section exists on a very large motorcycling forum that I've belonged to for a number of years and it's where discussions go that are about "Which oil is the best for riding to the
    7-11?" "Which tires are the best for riding on Interstate 80 in Nebraska?" "Which aftermarket seat is the MOST-COMFORTABLE?"

Those are the talkbass.com equivalent of "Which Flats will sound best on my bass?" "Will I like a Jazz or P-Bass more? "Is a P-Bass really any good?"

On that motorcycling forum, users can't create topics in that section, but if the thread gets moved there....it's a subject that's been talked about many times before, is pointless, and/or keeps recurring.

The users goal shouldn't be to have something in this area, but try and keep their threads from being moved there. If the thread does get moved....it's suggested that users read Best of NEPRT as it may be in there.

Just a suggestion to remove some of the daily clutter of recurring topics on talkbass.com

2. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Seems like a lot more work for the mods to be on top of things.

Would threads get moved and merged together or would there just be 900 "which bass is best for metal" threads in there?

3. ldryder

ldryder

Sep 8, 2014
    The sheer number of members at this forum may make something like this too unwieldy.

The threads are moved there individually, by Moderator discretion. None of them are merged together.

I suspect that having the fear of having one's new thread/question moved to NERP might encourage a lot of the posters to use the "Search Function" before asking many of the newbie questions that are so repetitive on any forum.
    Whenever anyone claims to have searched for "What bass is best for metal?", more-experienced members would simply direct them to the NERP Section.