1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

new found fender fan

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by anomalybass, Apr 26, 2009.

1. i purchased my first fender bass this week. its an 08 MIM fender jazz 4. ive never been a fan of fender basses, but now im hooked. this bass plays and sounds better than almost any bass ive played. i played about a dozen jazz basses before i decided on this one. i had to adjust the neck and give it an all around tune up, but now its just great. the tone is unbelievable. the action is nowhere near as low as my cirrus 5, but even the slightly higher action is nice for this bass. its a passive model and ill be keeping it that way. im running it through an ampeg svp preamp into a peavey combo 110 and the tones i get from this bass at any setting are remarkable. the bass have a vibrant low mid growl that is present with any pup combo. ive been searching for this tone for a very long time. i just want to say thanks to all of you guys for pushing me into the fender jazz direction in past posts. ill be posting some recordings soon, as well as a pup comparison as soon as i pick up the sd basslines bridge pup ive been looking at. the only bad thing ive noticed about fender basses is you really have to play alot of them to find the ONE. mine is THE ONE for me. i couldnt be happier. ill post some pics tomorrow. -joep

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    I thought this link was gonna be about car fenders, not Fenders.:D

3. I'm also a new convert. It might have something to do with trying to land a gig, and the bands looking at me funny like "who's this clown with the exotic crazy woods bass?" I decided to get something "Normal", something people wouldn't be scared of, so I put a Geddy Lee on layaway at last years price.

I've never been a big fan of Fenders, they just seem so "mass produced", but I love the tone, and playabillity of the Geddy. The one I picked out had nice low action, and gobs of tone. It's going to be hard getting use to the pickgaurd though, there doesn't seem like a lot of room to get under the strings when doing pops. Might have to tighten up my technique a bit.

4. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I guess I love them, I don't know why, but I think it's cause it's all I know.

You know for a lot of us over 50 guys, back in the day Fender was the only decent bass available. Sure there were Gibson E-BO, but I'm talking about the real world

5. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    Congrats on the new jazz. :bassist:

When I was a youth I was determined to play anything but a Fender as I considered them too common and ordinary. Then one day at an informal college "music club" I traded my 4003 for another guys Fender Jazz for the afternoon. Not saying it was an epiphany, but yes I "got it" after that.

So, any chance for some pics? ;)

6. "One of us....One of us......One of us"..........haha, kidding.
    Congratulations, you now know the worlds worst kept secret.
    Took me awhile to come around to the whole single-coil vibe.
    But now I'd never go back to humbuckers/active/etc... love the pure tone from singles.

7. well the batteries are dead in my camera so ill get some later and take some pics. ive had my peavey cirrus bass for about 5 years now and really though it was the end all be all bass. it really is one of the best out there( for the price) imo. but...this jazz has all those great tones that my cirrus just cant quite hit. i have to boost the low mids like crazy to get my cirrus to hit that growly jazz tone, but the fender just nails it straight out of the box w/ no extra eq. i love it. also the cirrus doesnt have alot available as far as upgrading. there arent any direct replacement pups or anything. im not about to route away on a 2k+ bass. however you can swap out anything and everything on a jazz bass. i think the tonal range between my cirrus and this jazz covers just about everything i could need. -joep

8. Hey man,first of all congrats on the new jazz,and welcome to the coveted flock.Ya know it's funny,I too have a 2008 MIA Fender jazz I got a few months back and a Peavey Cirrus 4. Since getting these two I like you feel and know I have all my bass needs and sounds covered. :cool:

9. right on man. what amp are you running? im running an ampeg tube pre with mine and both of those basses really sing with that preamp. whats the specs on your cirrus/jazz? -joep

10. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    I was converter two years ago, but couldn't afford one til this year

and I'm very happy with it. it has sooo many tones and all of them are tastefuly useful, feels great too. [it's a Geddy]

congrats =D