Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Found Glory?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BassPlayer101, Jul 30, 2001.

1. BassPlayer101

BassPlayer101

Jul 27, 2001
    Omaha,NE
    Anyone know of the band New Found Glory ? They open for Blink 182. I like them. I have there cd. Check them out on the tab. Rate them between 1 and 10.

2. BassMisfit

BassMisfit

Dec 31, 2000
    Irwin, PA
    pop

3. I've only heard NFG's latest single "Hit or Miss" and I like it. I'm going to see Blink 182 and New Found Glory in about a week and a half, so I can hear some more NFG, it should be awesome. I cant wait :)

4. BassPlayer101

BassPlayer101

Jul 27, 2001
    Omaha,NE
    NFG is just like blink 182 they are not pop

5. Canadianbassman

Canadianbassman Guest

Jan 20, 2001
    and your point? blink 182 is POP punk, if not more pop.plus nfg are better and more musically devolped than ole' stupid blink.

6. Funny, NFG means something else were I am from.

7. ConTraBajisTa

ConTraBajisTa Guest

Oct 5, 2000
    auburn, ny
    A New Found Glory is neither POP or BLINK 182 (maybe a tiny bit of each)- listen to some of their other stuff, whats on the radio isn't exactly what they are like (as with alot of bands). they are very good, and they aren't going to sell out.

8. I didnt like them. I saw them at the Warped Tour. I was waiting to see Rancid. Rancid was on next. I booed NFG. THey played for 40 minutes. I dont like NFG.

9. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Yeah I dont really like NFG. I thought they werent half bad when I first heard them, but then I thought "these guys are WAY to pop" after getting some of their other songs.

10. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    This looks music related to me. It also looks so well in the MISCELLANEOUS forum.

11. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    You people talk like pop is this evil thing that everyone should stay away from. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't "pop" come from "popular"? So no matter what kind of music something is if it is popular it is pop, right? While IMO some of today's popular music is more industry driven than artistically driven, pop music isn't the end of the world.

12. And what would that be?

13. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Your're right, the term "pop music" did come from popular. By the way, Blink is sucky pop punk(but still punk).

14. ConTraBajisTa

ConTraBajisTa Guest

Oct 5, 2000
    auburn, ny
    alot of pop has adopted this reputation as a group of 5 boys that lip sink to songs they didn't write, or girls that are half dressed that sing about how, oops they did it again. pop now has this fake imagine to it, where musicians aren't really musicians anymore, but a "product of the creator's imagination"--they do what the people want them to do, their personalities almost seem to be only what their manager or agent (or whoever is their boss) wants them to be. thats the dreaded pop that everyone dare not come close to, becuz u wonder if u can even call it music. i guess an analogy that can come close to it is... say there's this brand of orange juice, but it has so many preservatives and sweeteners that it looks like orange juice... but you wonder if u can even call it that, since on the side of the container it says ".03% orange juice." (i know thats not realistic, but you get what i am saying). and there's this musician, and she has changed and molded so much, that the content of her music that's original is .03%... kinda like that, ya know?
    but then there's other pop, like to me, Lit is pop, only because everyone likes them. and they didn't seem to change all that much from old stuff compared to new stuff.
    good pop vs. bad pop, LoL.

15. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Is there such a thing as good pop?

16. I hope you all realized that my comment was a joke, I am totally indifferent to them, its just not what I like in music. Im not going to bash them cause I dont like them, cause many people do. However, I think they are much more of a commercial product then musicians. In a time that Image is everything, the music suffers. It shows when on TRL, the top 10 is loaded with amatuer musicians. THere is no message behind the music, there is hardly even music there. I still believe that punk is better then this, so for the sake of it, NFG and Blink will be pop, nothing more and nothing less.

17. Wow did everyone get off topic or what! To come back to the subject I'd rate him around an 8. He has come up with some nice stuff. And onto what everyone else was sayin... They arent pop they are punk. And the lead singer even said that once MTV and the radio played their stuff once he didn't or doesn't care if they ever play it again, so hows that for pop. Personally I like them, I think they have some talent. AND they dont officially open for Blink they are SPECIAL GUESTS. I can't wait till the end of summer and come around here, Ive already got tickX! WOHOO NFG!:D

18. :D Yeah really! Same here! :D

19. I'm an old school NFG fan that knew them before the blink tour and even before they started playing "Hit or Miss" on the radio over and over... and over. Before they where pop punk. NFG is a great punk band. If they get played on the radio, the people that think the radio and mtv control everything music , are gonna like it and call it "pop" because because it is "popular" not becuase it sounds like that other sh*t they play on mtv and the radio. But because NFG is now "pop"ular, they have become a boy band just like Blink did. Its sad really, when nothing but 13 year old girls go to their "punk" shows mistakening it for "pop" music. they don't care about the music they only care that they think Jordan and Chad are hotties and that its "pop"ular. Its a shame because many great bands have unwillingly sold if they are to become to "pop"ular. It happend to Blink and now its happening to NFG, hopefully no love is lost from the hardcore punk music loving fans because of those damn "pop" lemmings.

20. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    I don't know much about them, but I have seen their CD, and if i'm not mistaken it says "Pop Punk" right on the cover sticker.