1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New found Love for Aguilar GS112s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SJan3, Oct 13, 2017.

1. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Hi All,
    I've had Aguilar GS112s for quite some time now. I initially powered them with an AG500SC and they were always very good but a bit mid shy as many have mentioned. Since I've gotten the Tonehammer500, I'm much more pleased with the GS112s! I'm thinking the new amp has changed the personality of the cabs. So, I'm thinking for you out there that Have a Tonehammer amp and are considering new cabs, give a listen to the GS Series. you may discover a New Found Love for them!

Pbassmanca, Al Kraft, JLY and 2 others like this.
  2. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    So, is anyone using a Tonehammer 500 w/GS112s?

JLY likes this.
  3. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I agree, the GS112 sounds great being powered by a TH500. Most of the time, I run a pair of GS112's.

SJan3 likes this.
  4. Yes, I do.
    I think they pair well because the TH500 is very mid focused & the GS112 a little mid scooped.
    It sounds so good I have 2 TH500's powering 4 GS112's when I wanna be loud.

Arthur U. Poon and SJan3 like this.
  5. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Do the Aggies sound similar to the Rumble 112's? I see a similarity....

6. I've never tried any of the Rumble stuff so I can't say.

7. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Wow! That would be LOUD! Do you need any eq tweaking or do you run everything flat?

8. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Honestly never tried the rumbles so can't say. What I can say is the Aggies are built beautifully.
    GS cabs are mahogany and use cast drivers. Grills are steel etc.
    VERY roadworthy!

9. J.D. Detroit

J.D. Detroit

Nov 12, 2015
    Detroit
    Haven't played that setup exactly but have played through a pair of the GS 212 cabs.
    Monster cabs - excellent quality.

Never had the chance to try a TH500 yet. Seems like it would be a great pairing with the Aguilar stuff.

SJan3 likes this.
  10. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I tried the Aggie GS112's when I was buying my TH500 and really liked them. I ended up getting a Berg CN212 instead, but Aguilar cabs do sound nice and are well built.

The TH is definitely a little fuller/richer in the mids than many heads and seemed to be a great match for the GS cabs. To my ear the DB cabs were not as balanced sounding with the TH head due to their mid forward voicing and I honestly didn't care for the SL cabs at all. The SL's sounded weak in the lower range and felt thin/without a lot of heft or weight to the tone. This was even more obvious next to the GS cabs. YMMV!

11. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    I agree. I had DB112s and thought they were very "in your face" tonally. Also, a tough schlep.
    GSs have a better placed handle and are a few lbs lighter. It makes a difference as the DBs felt heavier than their claimed weight. The GSs felt more accurate.

Al Kraft and Arthur U. Poon like this.
  12. Jefenator

Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    A lot of newer / lighter / flatter / flashier gear has taken the limelight since these cabs were introduced but they still seem relevant to me. (Something about their particular balance of practicality and authority...)
    My GS212 has filled many a room without the slightest hint of complaint. (I'd love to justify trying something new but this old cab just won't die!)
    The 112 has always seemed a bit awkward to me. I have always hated how physically deep it is, and the way you either have to lay it on the ground like some kind of rat fur pancake or deploy it vertically with the logo sideways and the handle poking up, keeping many amp heads from seating properly on top. And yet, I still use mine because it definitely fills a void between the cocktail Jazz rig and the larger cab.
    I expect this series will continue to quietly endure in the market, much the way my specimens have quietly endured so many years of heavy use.

13. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Yes, I can't find a good enough excuse to part with them.
    They're not too heavy, not too large, very durable, can be placed flush or sideways, quality components and 2 of them sound BIG! I'd have to spend many more $$$ to justify a "step up" from these. AND, most importantly, they've been paid for and making me $$$ for years.

Arthur U. Poon and Jefenator like this.
  14. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

2a822ee6500716237c196bb20fc921b2.jpg

emjazz, Jefenator and SJan3 like this.
  15. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Pbassmanca and Al Kraft like this.
  16. I EQ depending on which bass I use and the particular room. I haven't run any amp flat in my 30 years of playing.

Pbassmanca and SJan3 like this.
  17. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    .,and that's what those knobs are for.

Al Kraft and BassmusM6674 like this.
  18. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    California Republic
    Those GS 112 cabinets are excellent gear. Yes, scooped in the mids, but lots of punch and a decent form factor for transit. Would love to hear them with a Mesa Subway 800+.

SJan3, Pbassmanca and Al Kraft like this.
  19. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

That's one way to get rid of excessive highs.......

SJan3, Arthur U. Poon and Al Kraft like this.
  20. amped12

amped12 Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    My every day rig is the TH500 and a pair of GS112s. When I want to get loud, I'll use four GS112 and the DB751 and it all fits in my Honda Accord! Love the tone with both rigs.

Pbassmanca, SJan3 and Arthur U. Poon like this.