1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New-found love for my Epi 2X10UL...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JPJ, May 11, 2006.

1. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I've been using a "regular" (cab was purchased before the NYC-UL destinction) Epifani 3X10 for the last 4 years as my primary gigging cabinet. It isn't the lightest cab, but is very managable, is well-balanced, road-worthy, and sounds excellent. I've had a 2X10UL in the demo room for the last couple of years which I loved when I first got it, but never did much with it.

Needless to say, I decided to take it to a gig a few weeks ago and it performed amazingly well. I took it to an audition a few weeks later and LOVED it...tone-wise, it's excellent. It's light-weight (I can grab it with one hand and go), it can handle a good amound of juice from my Stewart 2.1, and I'm finding that I prefer how the upper register responds....a little less "modern sounding" that my 3X10 without sacrificing any clarity, definition, and punch.

Just thought I'd share... :smug: :bassist:

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Thanks Jay. I'm in the midst of a love affair with a couple Bergies. Once it wears off, I'm sure I'll go right back to my Epi's.

-Mike

3. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.

Right on!! I love Epifani stuff!
    I had a UL310 for a while and loved it.
    But made the switch to a pair of UL112's. Easier to move, plus some gigs only need one!
    Never tried or heard the 210's though. Can't imagine that they wouldn't sound great.

BTW, you may be very close/did violate the CUP.
    I believe if you sell it, you can't brag about it in a nut shell.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    love the UL210, one of my fav all time cabs.

and, "it handles the low B amazingly well," says the spoiled acme b2 owner. :p

5. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    No worries...not a dealer, just a user. ;)

In general, I'm just a huge fan of smaller, lighter-weight cabs. As far as I'm concerned, because modern cabs can handle so much power, there just isn't a need to break your back for a large cab. You can get just as much, if not more, tone out of 2 1X12s, a 2X10, etc.

6. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

The 210UL is a great cab, but is definitely my least favorite of all the EpifaniUL's. If you think the 210UL sounds good (which it does!), you would be amazed by the 310UL. It's still small and light, but puts out exponentially more sound than the 210UL, and still keeps that somewhat 'wide' sound, with that extended low end that the 210UL has IMO. I unfortunately found my 210UL to get quite easily buried in the mix due to that low end response combined with a small box size.

On the gig, I actually find the 112UL's and the 410UL to punch through a little bit more due to what I hear as a more aggressive mid voicing, and a somewhat tighter low end than the 210UL and 310UL. However, the 310UL is a big enough box to push enough air to get that wide sound out to the audience at louder volumes.

All nice stuff!

7. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I've been really digging the 112UL/110UL combination. Just perfect for smallish quartet gigs. It cuts through like a ginsu but never sounds overly honky or too punchy. It really sits in the mix very nicely.

W

8. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    KJung,
    When I tried it out on a gig recently, I didn't think that it cut through quite as good as my 3x10, but I didn't push it as hard and I was competing with 2 guitars and keys/organ/Hammond, etc. When I recently used in to audition a drummer for a new 4-piece I'm putting together (vocals, guitar, bass and drums), I thought that it did an EXCELLENT job at half the volume I usually use with the 3X10, and didn't have ANY trouble cutting through or being heard at all. I suppose, just like a lot of other things, the cab's performance is relative to what's doing on around it. :smug:

9. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    The 210UL is great for smaller gig or rehearsals. It never cut it for me as a stand alone on bigger gigs though unless I used a pair of them.

The 310UL is a fantastic cabinet that's ultra portable and quite a bit louder. I've been using one almost exclusively lately and I couldn't be happier with it. I have some bigger cabs that i ultimately like more for other reasons but the 310UL is the perfect compromise for me on 95% of the gigs that I'm doing.