Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Found noise in my P-deluxe

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by scorpionldr, Jul 19, 2004.

1. I own a fender Precision deluxe (yes the standard four with passives) with a precision and jazz pickup configuration. I was practicing with my band and after the practice, i decided to let them talk and turn my pickups off and play, which, much to my surprize, they were off, and there was a very faint noise coming from the amp (no crackling, just the sound of the bass), and I am thinking perhaps from some bumps (pickguard scratched heavily by my big muff pedal, once a drop). I love the bass itself, but for some reason it's always been in danger with me playing it :p :rollno: .

anyways, I think I bumped into a couch, and i noticed the volume knobs were bumped a little. I'm thinking that perhaps it is this that mainly caused the noise. I am wondering, since I am NOT AT ALL used to taking apart and tweaking my bass, if this is a problem that is related wth my volume pots, I would like to find out online how to take care of that.
    thanx for letting me vent

2. canary

canary

Jun 1, 2004
    i`m not really any good with that sort of thing, but if you dont mind me asking: Can i have your opinion on the Deluxe P-Bass? (i am looking into it for my first bass), Im also quite interested in knowing how good the Jazz pickup is?

you dont have reply if you dont want as this is not what the thread was put here for

3. well, I WAS expecting an actual answer to my question, but if you really want to know, the Fender version of it is really good sounding. If you can get by the fact that the jazz pickup hums, no matter what tone your set in, then it's good. the P-bass pup sounds inherantly vintage, and it's not as snappy as my squier's pup, but it sounds good. I personally think that it's good, but it doesn't have that same sort of tight low end that a jazz bass has, although i've been told it sounds like one. as far as a fender P-deluxe as your first bass, you sure your gonna play it if you spend half a grand on it?

NOW, answers please.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I've read your first post a few times, and I'm still not exactly clear what the problem is.

Are you saying there's noise INSTEAD of the pickup sound, or in addition to? Or are you saying your bass is now much quieter output?

apologies if I'm being dense, but I just can't tell the exact problem from the text.

5. the problem that I'm trying to touch is that when the pickups are set to be silent and OFF, they aren't OFF. when i play, i still hear the sound of the bass through the amp when it's all the way down.

6. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    hmmmmm

When you hit a note and turn your pickups down, does the sound go to the very low sound you describe immediately? Or does it go down steadily as you'd expect, but never goes off totally?

Could you try that with both pickups, one at a time, and let us know? I guess I was thinking you maybe had a bad ground, but that would give you crackling and you say you don't have that.

You also say you bumped it, I guess it's possible if it got bumped hard enough that the pot now can't turn the full wiper distance so it never goes fully off.

7. I can't seperate the two sounds out, but i'm guessing since it has a sorta acoustic sound, that it might be a little of both the jazz and the P. so now, the potential for that particular problem you mentioned, is it not repairable? or do I need ot replace a part?

8. New pots would probably make it go fully silent, but is it really a problem?

9. ok, so replacing new pots would do the trick. and no, it's not that it's really a big problem, it's just naturally you feel guilty when you mess up something on a nice expensive bass

10. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yup. Pot replacement would do it, but it's not necessarily a problem at this time. I guess the issue would be that it could get worse over time.

Where in NJ are you? I'm in southern Westchester, NY. If you drive, bring it up and I'll redo your V/V/T wiring while you wait for $15 - basically parts plus the cost of a beer or two :)

11. I'm in somerset county. Thanx for the offer but I actually have a friend who can do it for me.

12. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    no problem.

13. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Where in westchester are you, if you don't mind me asking? I grew up in Ossining-just wondered if you were close to that.

14. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    not too far from there, Mount Vernon area. Near junction of cross country pkwy and bronx river pkwy.