New free bass! Kamen GTX 53 Precision jazz ... pickup and electronics replacement ideas?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Eedwards7891, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Eedwards7891

Eedwards7891

Dec 11, 2017
    i was given a bass by a friend. It’s a “Karen GTX 53”, 24 fret precision jazz type bass. The neck looks maple, I’m not sure about the body .

All in all, I want to run this as a backup . The wiring and pots crackle badly when turning the dials (which seem to be precision volume/jazz volume/ tone control).

I’m inexperienced when it comes to swapping pickups and wiring . I’m familiar with the process , and have looked at doing it with other basses .

My question is : how do I select the right pickups that are compatible with this bass? Ideally, I would like something passive , but am not afraid of going active . I have considered the GZR passive pj set, and the emg passive pj set.

I’m playing this bass in drop a tuning . I’m running kalium hybrids at 135/115/95/85. I will play this through a decent amount of drive (DOD 250 and Joyo Ultimate ) into an ampeg svt7 and 810e.

The pic I included is a picture of the type of bass I have , since I’m not at home and haven’t taken pictures yet .

any and all suggestions or help are appreciated !

Attached Files: