1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Free Cab Day!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TwoRivers, Apr 2, 2015.

1. TwoRivers

TwoRivers

Aug 26, 2012
    Las Cruces, NM
    So today I was gifted a Peavey 410TX cab. I currently play through an Ampeg V-4b (reissue) and an Ampeg SVT-112AV cabinet, but welcomed the free gift as it would be nice to have a larger cab at times. I called Peavey, and the original ship date was in 1993 making the cab 22 years old. Surprisingly, I cleaned it up, plugged it in, and it seems to be working fine. All of the speakers move at about the same rate when playing, and it sounds pretty good. Compared to my SVT cab it is definately more full in the lows, but not as present in the mid-to-high-mid area.

I have a few questions about the cab, and am hopeful that some Peavy geeks might stop in and be able to drop some knowledge. First of all, the attenuator for the tweeter is missing, there's just a hole on the jack plate where it once resided. I took the jack plate off and felt around inside the cab to see if it had been pushed in or something, but I couldn't find anything loose in there (granted, there was tons of dampening material in there which didn't make my search any easier). I can't tell if the tweeter is working or not. There are two wires (both red) running from the tweeter to the subs, but that's it as far as the tweeter goes. I was thinking maybe someone replaced the tweeter at some point and this particular tweeter just isn't wired for the attenuator?

I have also read about doing something to the wiring in these cabs to bring out more of the mid range. Lots of people say "I did the midrange mod to mine", or something of the like, but none of the posts actually talk about what that mod is. Any ideas?

Thanks for reading!

2. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Strangely enough I was "gifted" a 410TVX (newer model) a couple weeks ago. These cabs are stoopid heavy and nobody wants them anymore :( . From your description I'd guess that the crossover and tweeter were removed and a cheap piezo tweeter substituted. The "midrange mod' is bypassing the low pass filter on the 10" drivers - as I said I suspect the whole crossover on yours was removed so no prob. I definitely need to do this mod on mine after trying it out, I don't want to use the tweeter and it's weirdly "dark" without it.

3. TwoRivers

TwoRivers

Aug 26, 2012
    Las Cruces, NM
    Lol...it's raining 410TX's!

So if I'm reading your post right, there's no sense in me researching this mod any further since it's already been done, effectively, if there's no crossover or attenuator in my cab?

I'm not an electronics expert, but it seems pretty basic on the inside. Speakers are all connected to each other, and two pairs of wires run to these plastic clips that are attached to the back of the jack plate...that's it.

4. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    I did the "mod" to my TVX tonight and it really helped it out - especially as the tweeter is hosed anyways. Still a bit dark compared to my Acoustic B810 but usable - part of that might be that it is ported so has quite a bit more low end than the sealed 8x10. I'm using a 30 watt Ashdown CTM-30 with a power soak set at about 3/4 on so not pushing it much ;) . I did play it full up for a bit and it was pretty loud (got a ***? from the drummer's wife upstairs ;) ) so I'm sure it will keep up with any reasonable drummer :) .

5. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Hey, you forgot "Hallelujah!" after "it's raining 410TXs." :roflmao: