1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New French Bow

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by pizzicato16, Feb 24, 2008.

1. pizzicato16

pizzicato16

Jan 24, 2008
    Baltimore
    I am studying upright in college, mostly jazz nowadays, but I would like a bow that is good enough to really make my bass sing when I bow it. I like big, heavy French bows, and I certainly don't want fiberglass. I don't really know what wood to look for or anything like that. I can spend up to $700. I would appreciate any advice I can get.

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    A friend of mine in Philly has a nice old, very old French bow with an oversized Frog. I think it might be either made in Germany or a custom order made in France. Either way, its a heavy bow of good quality over 150-160 grams.

He just bought a lighter older french pedigree bow and asked me advice on selling it. I suggested Ebay but this was just about a week ago. If interested, PM me and I will try and get you in contact with him. He is a Philly area freelance professional Bassist.

3. Bass Barrister

Bass Barrister

Nov 4, 2004
    Chicago
    Pizz. 16,

I don't how you define "big" and "heavy" bows, but I would suggest considering a Ken Smith C. Loveri bow. Excellent quality and well under $700. My C. Loveri weighs 146 grams and is just a tad shorter than my somehwat lighter unbranded German-made bow. Although a bit heavier, I prefer Ken's bow in terms of balance and response. Ken's bows come in a variety of weights and I would suggest you contact him.

4. pizzicato16

pizzicato16

Jan 24, 2008
    Baltimore
    By big and heavy I mean as close to 180+grams and pretty long. I am a big guy (6'3") and I like size. I started playing classical for the first 7 years exclusively, but is was 10 years ago that I stopped using a bow/played more electric. I felt back then that I could get heavier bows to do what I wanted with more ease.

5. dchan

dchan

Nov 19, 2005
    Bethlehem, PA
    I think you're looking for one of Hent te Hietbrink's South American ironwood bows. They're easily the longest and heaviest bows I've ever tried out; the extreme length may have something to do with the wood's inherent stiffness. I don't know how much they weight exactly, but I think it might be possible to club someone to death with one. :smug: However, I think they may cost more than your $700 budget.

6. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    First off, if you had a great Bass and Bow to match, 140gr or so would be plenty. Needing more sounds like you are trying to or needing to force the sound out.

Regardless, the Bow I mentioned above (not a KSB Bow) is along the lines you mentioned but might be under 180gr. I will have to check with my friend who is selling it.

Any Bow over 150gr. is a hard sell. I think the comfort zone for Bow regulars are 132-146gr. Lighter would mainly be a Solo Bow and heavier, well a special use like you are requesting.

7. pizzicato16

pizzicato16

Jan 24, 2008
    Baltimore
    When you're right, you're right. I hadn't considered fully the bow/bass combination. The best bass that I have had access to regularly over the past 10 or so is a new Knilling that was at my school. If I had a great bass then i'm sure it would sound good with whatever bow touched it. My uprights are crap at best, but after going through 4 years without one, whatever I could get was great. Now I am starting to get more serious about my music. I am starting with a good bow and in 6 months or so I will have the 5-6 grand for a better bass. But thanks for the great advice!

8. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    FYI, Adjusting your playing habits to a Bad Bass and/or Bow will help develop bad technique over time. I think one of the old terms for that is 'fisticuffs'. No way to approach playing a Bass I think.

9. peskatore

peskatore

Jun 28, 2004
    Hi Pizzacato16,

My name is Steve Beskrone. Ken just emailed me the link to your post on Talk Bass about wanting a big, heavy French bow. I have such a beast! It's a bow I've had for many years. Recently it was rehaired at David Gage's shop in NYC. I'm not sure of the exact weight but it's in the 160 gram area. It also has an unusually large frog for a French bow. Pernambuco stick. As Ken mentioned, I just bought a Morizot bow and find that I now have too many bows. I'm trying to sell it in the price range you mentioned. If you're still looking for a bow, please contact me at 215-514-2069 or email me at s.beskrone@verizon.net.

Thanks, Steve

10. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    If your name is Steve, then why the Italian Fish name 'Peskatore'...lol

Steve 'Peskatore' Beskrone. You sleep with the Fishes?:D