Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new fretless..any ideas?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by matticus, Apr 10, 2003.

1. matticus

matticus

Apr 10, 2003
    i'm looking around for a new fretless bass. i have about $2700CDN avail. for the bass. I like warm tones to play reggae and ska type of riffs, i'm not huge into slapping but do use it on occasion for accent. I've been leaning towards a mohagony (sp?) body but anything with a nice warm tone.

i'm really running in the dark here so any luthier or company with any nice fretless quality basses that you know of would be greatly appreciated.

:) thx.

2. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
  3. matticus

matticus

Apr 10, 2003
    no doubt, eh. i would be there in a second.. but the cash restraint :meh: those are really nice basses, i was looking at them before.

4. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I just got a Jaco fretless, and I'm loving it! I can pack a pretty deep punch (Not like my P with flats though) and I love the Jaco-ish sounding mwahs! :D

5. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    I've bought a Modulus Q5 just 10 days ago:the more I play,the more I'm in love with it.
    It has alder body and Bart p-ups: they give the warmness required to balance Graphite's clarity.
    In this way,I have a perfect fretless that can do both the modern and the warmer fretless tones

6. freddy de vadde

freddy de vadde

Apr 10, 2003
    i was thinking of a fretless MTD Kingston bass. these basses sound realy great! i'm looking for a long time for a fretless bass, but i can't find a second hand fretless bass. So therefore i was thinking of removing the frets of my copy fender jazzbass. Does anyone can give my tips on removing the frets of a bass and what i have to do to get a fine fretless.
    please help me!

7. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Check Rick Turner's Electroline, especially 5 string models with both Piezo and Magnetic pups...amazing basses.

8. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    You should be able to find a used F-Bass within your price range. They are killer instruments! By far the best Jazz style basses I have ever played.

The Fender Jaco fretless is a great instrument too. I would love to have one. But I already have an F-bass.

9. mikgag

mikgag Guest

Mar 25, 2002
    Here's an early pic of my new fretless. It'll be finished in 3 weeks. Mahogany body with Bocote top and back.

[​IMG]

10. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I love F-basses too - but by far the finest fretless I have ever played (and lucky to have owned) was created by Ken Lawrence. The amazing thing was the mwah when you want it, fat when you don't character. That and the hand carved ebony bridge. TASTY!! (and i got it used for $1400us)

11. gareth

gareth

Jun 9, 2002
    UK
    Get the Fender Jaco Signature bass - you will not be disappointed.

12. Check out the Pedulla Buzz basses. They have beautiful tone and excellent craftsmanship.

13. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    oh yeah - Kinal is great!!

oh and Zon too!

aaugh... you're gonna have a tough choice.

BUT, if you're into warm tones, I'd lean towards Kinal and Pedulla - F-bass, the Lawrence, and any jazz for more "jazz-ish" tones...

and if you're really brave...

go for a fretless MM or Pbass. The sound that Pino & JMJ get out of those basses turns me on!