New Fretless Bass???? HELP!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fattie64, Jun 22, 2005.

1. fattie64

Oct 3, 2004
    hey im getting a new bass and i need some suggestions

less than $350
    fretless (duh)

any suggestions? i've been looking at Ibanez SR300dx's online but havent made my way to the store to test one yet but i trust your opinions so throw them at me!

rock on :bassist:
  2. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    the 300dx is a good bass for fretted, I have one lying around (my brother's). The Fretless version doesn't have much vibe in teh fretless department. Ibanez makes some good stuff, but their fretless basses tend to be less impressive. I would try and find a used Spector Piezocore. They are around $300-$400 used and have a great sound. The Brice fretlesses at has gotten good marks as well.
  3. yep, check out, they have some quality brice and SX fretlesses at a low cost, though i dont have much experiance with either i played a fretless SX and the only impression i walked away with is that it can use a good set up out of the box.

those 2 companies have more posts on this forum than any other so id do a search and youll find all the info you'll need
  4. R.Waters

Apr 7, 2005
    well I dont know about you but fretless warwick thumbolts are definitly my favorities :hyper: but when it come to fretted I choose Hofner.
  5. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Check Ebay for something used or I would recommend either an SX (Based on other's reviews) or a Dean Edge which can be had for about $350. I owned a Dean and it was quite nice for the price.
  6. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    TB member Suckbird just got a Dean fretless

I would 2nd the recommendation for either the Dean or SX .... I'd be more inclined to suggest the Brice basses, but IIRC they're only available in a fretless 5 string (that could be wrong though :meh: )
  7. Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I have a SX fretless and am very pleased with it!
  8. ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    I am also looking to get a 5 string, unlined fretless. I bought 4 string fretless Cort before Mars Music went under. Ahs some decent bart MK-1 pups. But it has been sitting around unplayed with the G string virtually stuck to the fretboard. I bought some Fender flats to put on my MIM jazz but i really need a fretless right now. I was going to drop the Cort and the flats off at the shop Monday to have them do a set up and put on the flats but I only play 5ers now. Guess it won't hurt to fix up the Cort so I can sell it. So where can one go online to shop for a new Brice 5 fretless besides, ebay or HC, etc?
  9. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Dean Edge Q fretless. Hard to beat in the price range!
  10. gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    Cort Curbow fretless, they pop up now and again on ebay in the 300 range.

I too would also suggest an SX. with the money you save (they are about 150ish shipped) you could do some nice upgrades, like pickups (60) , some nice TI Jazz flats (50) and get it sheilded (10 for stuff).
  11. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Actually right now they only have a natural quilted fretless 6 and a fretless 5 left handed only.