New fretless bass (LOTS of pics inside)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mikekim, Oct 16, 2005.

1. mikekim

Mar 16, 2005
    I finally got my fretless bass done by a local luthier who's a friend of my older brother. His name is Matias Crom. Well, it was based on this Carl Thompson bass but I actually like my bass much more due to the luthier's style.

Neck-thru 32" ebony fingerboard, birds eye maple neck, birds eye and cancharana body, beautiful cocobolo top and back, passive bartolini 9Js. The thing has tons of mwah and a sweet tone. I LOVE IT. Payed 1900 argentine pesos, equivalent to 633.33 US dollars. Very cheap cause I know the luthier.

2. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA

That's freaking amazing!! I wish I had one!!!! I think it looks better than a CT!

No more "!'s"
  3. Nice

What's that top wood?
  4. teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    I LOVE it! VERY nice!
    IMHO, splurge on some nice wood control knobs. Those gold gu*itar knobs have to go! :bag:

JJBACOOMBA Commercial User

May 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Lecompte Bass Owners Club Member #2
  6. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Awesome! Does this lutheir have any contact info? It reminds me of a CT.
  7. mikekim

Mar 16, 2005
    Yeah, if you read my first post it includes the link to the bass it was based on. And as for the luthier, you could contact him but... he lives in argentina as I do. :meh:

thehurlatron: the top wood is cocobolo (a damn beautiful piece).
  8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Every time I see another exotic bass I'm more of the mind that they do absolutely nothing for me personally. Years ago I'd be drooling all over the place but today I can't see the appeal. To each his own I guess. It looks like a beautiful piece of woodworking and I'm sure it plays and sounds wonderful, congratulations!
  9. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Pretty slick. Congrats!
  10. +1. But it IS a real nice looking bass. Congrats on your purchase.
  11. zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    i more old school in my tastes and i dont mind the odd binding or superfluous plate here and there but the curly bit is way to decorative to my eye..if it wasnt for that then its a cool bass.
  12. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I like it. The only thing that bugs me is that the knobs are so close to the pickup and not spread out a bit.
  13. michele

michele Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2004
    I'd change the knobs too but ... let me say that this bass is HOT!!!!! :bassist:
  14. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Well done,
    Quite a nice bass. I always like to see custom multiwood basses with good long grain woods on top. I can't stand to see anymore spalted top basses. I am jealous.
  15. Bassosaurus

Aug 27, 2005
    Very nice!

1) is it to be piccolo (32" scale)?
    2)Can CT sue someone here - I mean that is a blantant copy, right down to the headstock plate? The headstock plate does look quite cool!
    3)Yes, wood knobs (or black - non-speed knobs) as mentioned. I'd of spread 'em out more too.
    4) I just love to say "cancharana" ;) can you tell us more about cancharana? weight? sound? origin?

All in all that's a beaut - should keep you happy for some time.
  16. LukeMan970

Jun 22, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Man that thing is beautiful, how much did it cost to build that thing?

Edit: Oh yeah sorry skimmed it too quickly :meh:
  17. spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    See first post.... ;)
  18. mikekim

Mar 16, 2005
    Thanks everyone. I've been playing this bass for HOURS already.

1) Nope. It's 32" but not piccolo.
    2) I don't now... but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't as there's a page in his website with look-alikes (and some nearly identical). <--- check it out. there even is another bass from the same luthier that made this one (Matias Crom).
    3) I chose these knobs cause I liked them but... yeah they would have been nicer if they were spread out. It's not a big deal though.
    4) Cancharana is a national wood from Argentina. I don't know if there's a name in english... but I do know that the body is much lighter than I expected.

As for sound... this bass has tons of mwah with a sweet nasal tone. Very mellow too.
  19. Tryxx

Tryxx Sputnik Forums: Bass Mod

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    Beautiful work. My mother is Brazilian (making me half) maybe I can talk her into a trip to South America. :p Looks like it would be worth it.

I'd have to skip Brazil though...
  20. Really good work! But I'm not fun of 284365 piece bass. :ninja: