Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NEW FRETLESS BASTARD P BASS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Oct 25, 2004.

1. well some of you might remember a little while ago about my post where my nan found a p-bass body in a box she got from an auction, well, yesterday, i found a neck :eek: in a council pickup pile out the front of someones house...the neck is is good condition, ive defretted it and it fit the body perfectly, its 1 peice maple and rosewood board...its not a high quality neck but it is comfortable, the tuners are a little cheap, but they will be replaced eventually....im gonna strip the paint...even though its ply wood...its really heavy and from what i can see of the top its really nice....its only got two strings on it at the moment cos they were left overs from the kubicki but it sounds really nice and mwahy so far..ill post some pics when i get home

2. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    So....... I guess I should say welcome to POOTW [P-bass owners of the world]:p :p :p Cool find and project.

3. thanks :p :D ..many people are not gonna beleive this due to my past threads but oh well, this is really one of the few p-basses that i actually like, nice and heavey..but ive got a spare split coil pickup lying aroung which im going to put in at the bridge position...its not bad for a free bass :D

4. Rhythmalism

Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    Cool project. But a fretless pee?!? Strange combo :D.

5. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    What do you mean, the P-bass fretless has been around sense 1970. My fretless is a 1970 P-bass with a Chandler fretless J neck. And I believe that Mark Eden's main bass in his early years was a 57-59 P-bass that jaco had de-fretted and gave him.

6. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Fretless P = Irony. That's why it's odd.

7. here she is :D yes i noticed she's only got 2 strings..havent had a chance to buy a set yet

8. Have you filled the fret slots in? In the picture it doesn't really look like it and a fretless bass won't play properly without a nice level fingerboard.

9. no i havent...and why wouldnt it? the fingerboard is as straight as my sexuality and it works fine...strings make contact perfectly, and the unfilled slots havent done anything to it

10. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    In that case, your sexuality is likely to go through some evolution soon. You lose some fingerboard stability having open fret slots with nothing in them. I can't say definitively, but have been told for years that leaving the slots empty is begging for the 'board to warp.

Fill them in with something really hard, like marine epoxy, sand it down nice and flat and have the mwah of your dreams.

11. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    *no comment*
    :eyebrow:

S'up B2db,

Still got the Triad? How's it working out for you?

12. Well ok Heath... interesting response. You should fill them becausethere is no way going over that space in the fretboard results in the clean smooth feel a normal fretless has. I mean if it works for you, do whatever you'd like; it's your bass after all. On the flip side, not that other people's actions should dictate your own, but don't you think there's a reason EVERY SINGLE major, minor, hell even do-it-yourselfer who builds or modify's a fretless bass fills in the fretlines?

13. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    :hyper:
    Still got it. Still love it. Just got with a new band last week. Holding out great hopes that this one will pan out for a while. The Triad really works well as an extension to a Redhead. SWR should have marketed it that way.

How's things out your way?

14. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    SWR used to have common pairings or suggestions on what to use with what... I think that it was in the manuals.

PM'd

15. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Because the neck will ether warp or bow forward when you put all the stings on!!! I would think that sense your main bass has such a stable and dependable neck design that you would want to make sure that any other bass you have or work upon should have as stable neck as it possibly can have.

Here is another thing to think about; one of the more common woodworking techniques for bending wood for trim on furniture and indoor and outdoor house and boat trim is to "kerf" the backside so that instead of having to bend a piece of stock 1" thick you are only bending 1/4" thick, another example is "kerffed" linings in acoustic guitars [look inside one].

What you should do is get some veneer [the kind without a paper backing [stu mac or LMI should have the right kind] and glue it in with ether supper glue or thin epoxy, and then level them flush to the fingerboard.

16. Look...It's a cheap neck that you found, right?

Well then do the cheap thing...fill the slots with super glue (CA glue). It's VERY hard, but it flows, so carefully tape off the sides of the fingerboard with masking tape first to create a "dam". Then, starting from the center of the slot, slowly apply the glue. Do a little at a time and then move to the the next fret....go back to the top...and do again..

take some breaks to allow for curing...when you are satisfied...STOP!

then the next day (yes LET IT STAND)...sand with some very fine sand paper being ever so careful to POLISH not remove material.

The results should be more than satisfactory.

17. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    True this is also a good option; the only thing I might add is that some CA type glues can seep through masking tape, so I would double it up with more masking tape or black electrical tape.

18. Yes, that's true about the seep-through. Care must be taken to create a good liquid-tight seal.

And, oh yeah...with that much CA glue floating around your eyes are GONNA sting. So do it in a well ventilated area.

19. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    another way is wood filler on the fretlines, let it dry sand it out and put tung oil on it. thats what i did to my squier P. its got a EMG in it and it is the best cheap bass i have ever played.

20. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    You can also use wood filler. The wood filler can be dyed to match the fretboard if that is what you want, or left plain.