1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Fretless for Me!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by justBrian, Mar 16, 2009.

1. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I got this very nice Hotwire fretless (double bass) from a guy here in town last week. After 2 jazz/R&B gigs and a loud rock rehearsal, I have to say that I really dig it. It's an alder body, mahogany fingerboard, carved mahogany bridge, Hotwire pickups (I think they're stacked humbuckers) in the '60s positions, and a piezo mounted to a piece of spruce inside an hollow chamber, and a beautiful birds-eye maple neck. The controls are: neck, bridge, stacked bass/treb, piezo. I can mix-and-match for just about any tone I need. That being said, the piezo is not a stand-alone--but it really adds to either of the others quite nicely. She is currently sporting some D'Addrio Black Beauties--you wanna talk mwaa? :cool:

bridge_close.

Body.

Headstock.

Neck.

2. gtxtom

gtxtom

Nov 3, 2008
    Philly
    Never heard of it, but it looks awesome! I like the all-black hardware.

3. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    You can check them out here:

http://hotwire-bass.de/

Oh, and thanks! I like the black hardware, too. I've got a black pickguard I'm debating on mounting...:ninja:

4. voodoobassist

voodoobassist Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Tulsa , OK
    Forget the pickguard,..leave it green and name it Kermit!!! Nice bass!:bassist:

5. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Thanks man!

Kermit, eh? I was thinking maybe Audrey...:D

6. She's a beauty! I think you did quite well. A black pickguard would be okay, but I'd miss seeing that beautiful wood. Hope she gives you year's of enjoyment.

7. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    It's got a nice vintage-vibe to it. I love the rich, warm tone--and that burpy sort of thing that makes it sing. wOOt!

8. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Had to post a closeup of the bridge--machined mahogany. Very cool!

BRIDGE_CLOSE2.