new fretless jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by turkish, Apr 24, 2003.

1. turkish

turkish Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    FCCAUSA, or here
    i've been in the market for a fretless for quite a while now and i finally found a MIM purple fretless jazz on ebay for about 180$

just got it in it sounds ok, tihnking about putting in the duncan fretless fundamentals system in and drillin two holes for the pots and either a side mount jack or a third hole on the front for the input jack. any one know where i can get one?

btw what kind of fretboard life would i expect by using roundwounds of a fretless?
  2. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    Rounds on a fretless are fine, they just take a little more care to maintain. Putting on more finish to keep the wood protected might be neccesary if you have low action or a heavy touch.
  3. Guybrush

Mar 22, 2002
    kardeþ türkmüsün?
  4. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Good choice on the mim jazz, I have had one since 1998, i play it alot. Almost every weekend. I have RS66 Rotosound swing bass steel roundwounds on it.
    And i put in seymore duncan basslines. It sounds so good, other bass players always want to buy it from me. There is some marks on the fretboard from the strings, and some wear at the notes i vibrato.
    You dont really notice them, unless your looking for them, about once a year, I clean the fretboard with
    boiled linseed oil, and put a thin finish coat on and
    let it sit for a couple hours, and then just wipe it down a few times, and buff it, the fretboard looks and feels great after that.:cool: i also have a 1994
    mij fretless jazz, and i did not want to tear it up, so i put DR Sunbeams on it, and it got marks in the fretboard anyway, but they dont effect anything.
    Why two fretless jazz basses you ask ? cause
    the mim had lines, and it was on sale for $250
    i could not resist.And i love the mij so much, i did not wanna tear it up, or change pick up's.It sounded great with the factory p/u's.:bassist:
  5. turkish

turkish Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    FCCAUSA, or here