new fretless P build - need string help

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by pnut166, Mar 12, 2010.

1. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    Okay guys, don`t crucify me for asking a question that`s been posted before. I`ve done the search thing, and need more specific help. I am nearing completion on a P fretless conversion. I have absolutely no past experience with fretless - it`s an entirely new animal to me, so I need some insight specific to my situation. I want a warm, round sound - gonna be playing mellow, acoustic-y type rock on it mostly. The neck is epoxied, BTW. I would guess flats would probably be the way to go, but what is a good economical choice? I currently use Roto flats on a Jazz (fretted, of course), and love the sound, but like Roto RW`s, they seem rough on my fingers compared to other brands. :help:

2. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    Get my nails, a hammer, and a cross....;), jk

If you like the Roto flats go for them, I'm sure you wont need to worry about the roughness, especially so as the board is epoxied.

Rotos Trubass is also an excellent string for fretless, kind of a fake double bass sound (if that would fit).

Otherwise you could take your pick from any other flats without worrying about wear, or some of the smoother Nickels (sunbeams, Dunlop etc).

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021