New Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ned, Nov 2, 2000.

1. Ned

Jan 27, 2000
    I know that Ibanez, Peavey and Fender have been discussed heavily on this board, but I have a question regarding these three for everyone. I just got back from my local music store, and I am interested in buying a fretless. Thre were three I was looking at particularly. First, a new MIM Fender Jazz (lined). Then, a new lined Peavey Foundation. Finally, a used unlined Ibanez SR400FL. I played all three extensively, and I think I like the Foundation's tone the best, but that wass through the store's amp, not mine. But I like the fact that the Ibanez is unlined. And I love Jazz basses, period. They are all very close in price. What do you guys think about each of these? Sorry for the lengthy post, but I am stuck right now.

Ned Swann
  2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    One of the best fretlesses I've played for the money was a used Foundation I played at a store that specialized in pianos. It was $175 and I didn't need a fretless four but damn that thing was sweet.
  3. I've played both a fretless MIM J and a fretless Foundation 2000.. I thought the MIM J was ok.. but the Foundation was quite good.
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Have I got a fretless for you ...
  5. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Hmmm...what did you have in mind?....;)
  6. furtim

Dec 12, 1999