Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New frets and maybe trussrod in Roscoe LG?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vic, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    This may belong in "Setup", so it may get moved, but just in case...

Hey, I'm thinking about having new frets put in my Roscoe LG-3005 and was wondering about Lull's shop (or maybe others?) for the job.

I was also thinking about (if possible) adding a dual action truss rod, since it seems to be about impossible to get any relief in that neck due to all the reinforcements (graphite AND steel!).

Main thing is, Keith soaks polyurethane into the purpleheart (for durability) and also glues the frets in, so I'm not sure if it can be done very easily or well?

I'm also not sure if changing out the trussrod, or at least the work required to do so, would screw up the incredible tone this thing has.

I should say I'm more interested in the refret than I am the "retruss", as the lack of relief is not that bad, but I do think I'd like to have new frets (maybe even a different type) installed.

Anyone with thoughts on this?

2. Through this board I've heard lots of good things about Lull. On the other hand you could probably send it to Mr. Roscoe himself, or at least talk to him about the job. He seems really responsive to email and others have said he'll take all the time you want on the phone.

BT

3. have you asked Mr. Roscoe about how best to achieve the sort of neck relief you are looking for?
    switching out a truss rod would be a pretty major operation...involving completely removing the fretboard, and possibly having to replace it if there were any problems when removing it. also, any sort of finish that may be along the side of the neck may get messed up. I'm sure that would be pretty expensive to do

4. If you have the bass refretted, the folks doing the refret (especially someone good like Lull) will be able to add a little bit of "built in" relief by planing away a little extra in the middle when they're leveling the fretboard. That would be much, much easier than pulling the board off and swapping the truss rod.

Mike

5. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    1.) I got a reply back from Lull already, and I'm very happy to report they basically said a good refret will take care of everything. :D

2.) They also informed me, that Roscoe actually does use a dual-action truss rod anyway. I guess I just never backed it off far enough to feel it push the other way.

Bottom line is, I think I'll send it off to Lull at some point to get it "perfect".

Yeah, Roscoe's great at customer service, and makes scary badass basses (I LOVE MY LG!!!), but his fret jobs are not as nice as some (such as Lull's) based on personal experience and research. For example, my MTD and Zons have noticeably nicer fret work and leveling.

6. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I sent my bass(Lull MV-5) back to Mike to do some electronics work and set-up work, and all I can say is that it was the best money that I've spent. It was done right the first time exactly the way that I wanted it done. Plus, it was only a bit more expensive with shipping than a local guy that quoted me the job. I had a set of SS strings put on for the set-up, but I was very curious about their Nickels, so Mike said that he'd throw a set of Nickels in my case for me to try out to see if I liked them. The strings more than made up for the extra cost of shipping the bass to Mike for the job. I highly recommend his work!

7. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Thanks for the great feedback! :)