Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New from Fender: 1970 Jazz Bass Reissue

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ostinato, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    The real deal:

[​IMG]

YUMMM

EDIT:

This is actually a "Closet Classic", not a regular reissue. Personally I would never buy any Fender priced over the cost of a decent vintage instrument. What's your opinion?

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Oooohhhh! Me likey!

3. Interesting, just read this under specs.

"Built as if bought new in its respective year and played a few times a year and then put carefully away. Has a few small dings, checked finish, oxidized hardware and aged plastic parts."

Comes pre-dinged up i suppose.

4. strummer

strummer

Jul 27, 2005
    Sweden
    Horrible! I have one just like that but from the 70's, and it's so not-my-favorite that I didn't even include it in my current list...

I have yet to understand these basses, but I realize I am in a pretty small minority here :)

5. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    I just like the look of the wood. For the kind of money they're asking though, it would probably be (and looks like) a one-piece body. Not that it makes any difference to me.

Sticker price should be around $3000 would be my guess.

6. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    The laugh about it is, that it would be cheaper to get an actual 70's Jazz...

7. strummer

strummer

Jul 27, 2005
    Sweden
    Yeah, and a lot! I'll sell you mine if you don't mind a replacement bridge and barts...

8. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    Or a Sadowsky.
    Or a KSD
    Or a Valenti. And get change back.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Close inspection by the strap button makes me think it's a 2-piece, although it's an excellent job of book-matching. I would be very shocked if it's an actual 1-piece body.

10. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    I'm assuming it's around $2,000 since thats what the 60s and 50s reissues are.. I'd pay about $1,000 for it if it sounded really sweet. But I have a thing for vintage fenders :eek:

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I was right...from the website:

Body: 2-piece premium ash.

12. Poor copy to be coming from the people that made the originals but that's to be expected I guess in this age of market saturation...I'm talking specifically about the tuners. They should be a tall stalk style - no rivet or anything, just tall vintage style where the ear blends smoothly into the stalk and these are the shorter more modern style they use on the modern instruments. If it's accuracy you are paying for then the dough is going to waste on this one. And where's the "Contoured Body" decal? The 62' MIJ reissues that I've referred to as MIJITSO (Made In Japan In the Style of (a 62)) were at least as faithful to their namesakes (having the same tuner incongruity) as these at less than half the price. Here's a pic of what I mean from the vintage Fender headstock site

13. this just bumped up the price of originals...

14. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Couldn't agree more as the people who would buy this would be fanatic about "authenticity". Good call on the tuners. :meh:

15. Franklin229

Franklin229 Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeast USA
    no thanks-I'll stick with the real deal. A reissue/copy/ whatever is still a shadow of the original.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Not always. The 75 MIA reissues blow away any 70's Fenders I've ever played.

17. Quartersawn "U" shaped neck. Is that true to the original as well?