1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New from Fender Japan "Traditional Series"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bacchuskid, Sep 21, 2017.

1. howlin

howlin

Nov 15, 2008
    I'm Not There
    ^^^ Why not just order one from Japan?

2. 12BitSlab

12BitSlab Gold Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2016
    If they are traditional 60's and 70's models, where are the pickup covers?

3. They missed the boat by not offering matching headstocks. For those tempted to see if they can order any of these, bear in mind that they make heavy use of basswood. Not alder or ash.

4. I had a red P-bass back in the very early 90's EXACTLY like the one shown. And it was a Japanese BASSWOOD model!

+1 (Blah) on that basswood thing. Not a fan...

ajkula66 likes this.
  5. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Hypocognitive Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2014
    No sonic blue :( so this one gets a thumbs up. Arctic White's nice too - tremendous tort :cool:

Is there no choice? That'd be a shame. I guess we're really hitting the wall now, wood-wise. Not that there's anything wrong with basswood except that I have no experience with it. Ash would be my first choice, just like my beloved P/J :)

What are the specs, if anyone has them?

6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Basswood dings easily. Besides that, what's wrong with it?

Treebeard likes this.
  7. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Fender Japan is the shizznizzle!!!

Root 5 likes this.
  8. Hounddog409

Hounddog409

Oct 27, 2015
    ohio
    whats with the truss rd adj? some show in head stock...some are seemingly sticking out...some show none at head stock or heel.

9. Anybody ordered a bass lately from Ishibashi or the like with a rosewood board? How hard was the whole CITES thing to navigate? Those 70s P basses look neat. Looks like they get somewhat 70s style tuners but the 60s basses get smaller cheaper looking machines.

Like that blue J though. Pretty!

funkymonk13 likes this.
  10. nerkoids

nerkoids

Jan 3, 2014
    Montreal
    Me too. I'd swap the pickguard for a tortie, though. :D

GrooverMcTube, klejst and RiZzBot like this.
  11. nerkoids

nerkoids

Jan 3, 2014
    Montreal
    If I'm not mistaken, you might be also referring to the Japan Standard models, that were made of basswood (which frankly is definitely not a deal-breaker for me) and had Japanese-made ceramic pups.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  12. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    I plan on starting the digging. If I land one, I also need to decide on a pickguard (not sure I dig the white here. Maybe mint pearl is in order).

13. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Where are the new colors?

TuneIn likes this.
  14. I worry more about hardware stripping screw holes than the ding ability (that too though) with basswood. Found a recent Godin Session Custom Guitar cheap and didn't get it because of the basswood body .

15. They look quite bland but it might just be the rather flat photography and processing. They might look better in natural light.

Captain Chaos likes this.
  16. jhb138

jhb138

Sep 14, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Black on black with rosewood? Drool

xJasonSmithx likes this.
  17. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    If it has a maple board and is a 50's traditional model, you're not seeing a truss rod adj. at the headstock. That's a wooden plug. The adjustment is on the other end of the neck. If it has a rosewood board and is a 60's model, same thing, but no wooden plug needed because the truss rod is loaded differently (no skunk stripe). When you see the truss rod adj. sticking out, that will be on the 70's traditional Jazz Bass models. It's called a bullet truss rod, and it's period correct.
    One thing I'm sure they didn't get right are the tuners.

Treebeard and GregC like this.
  18. wmmj

wmmj Gold Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    As a few folks pointed out, these are basswood. If that doesn't bother you - there's plenty of love for the aerodynes made of basswood, ebmm bongos, G&L basses in empresswood -these are great. (Personally I'd love a surf green p bass...)

19. wmmj

wmmj Gold Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    Upon further inspection (quick glance at a retailer's website), the 70's Jazz is ash, 70's p is alder (maybe depends on color). The 50's and 60's models are basswood and are cheaper. The 70's Jazz is most expensive.

giacomobass, GregC and Tom Bomb like this.
  20. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    This is correct. My intel is that Fender Japan can only sell in Japan. No legal exports. Those that can travel to Japan will find plenty to buy and bring back. Gray market sales will never be eliminated only curtailed.

wmmj likes this.