1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New from Fender Japan

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gregandgail, Feb 22, 2008.

1. gregandgail

gregandgail

Dec 15, 2005
    Austin, TX
  2. Choosh

Choosh

Jan 14, 2008
    Chicago
    yeah, Japanese fenders seem much cool than the ones we get here.

3. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Why would they do the MM pickup though? Looks like a cheap knockoff to me.

4. They've always made the all black P bass with no pickguard. The are light and sound fantastic. It looks like the bridge is different on these.

5. I had one made in the mid 1980's.

Mike

6. eotpr

eotpr

Jun 25, 2007
    If you are going to get a guitar from everseas I would do it as soon as possible. The dollar seems to be falling against other currencies. This will make the price increase.

7. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    yeah, the price of Japanese instruments is skyrocketing. I picked up this mint little Fernandes MIJ strat copy (made at the ESP factory) two months ago for $100 on the 'bay (with EMGs in it); now people are wanting $300 to $500 for that same guitar. used MIJ and CIJ Fenders are getting obscenely expensive, and this price hike seems to have just appeared in the last few months.

8. Cerpin_Taxt

Cerpin_Taxt

Sep 29, 2007
    Toronto
    Americans should just wait until Obama is elected president. After almost every presidential election, the dollar's value increases.

I missed the big deals. Last November one USD bought 92 Canadian cents... I wish I didn't have to drop ~$1200 on university books this year :crying:

9. not to me...

1...not cheap...Fender Japan is quality
    2...not a knockoff...MM pup is in the P-position...the 'ray position is about 1.5" closer to the bridge...

looks more like the Fender big block with a MM pup instead of the fender humbucker...

10. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I would likely say the same thing if EBMM put a split P style pickup in a SR or Sterling. I understand Fender wanting to compete with basses that use humbucker pickups, but I wonder why they didn't just use a big EMG style PU?

11. alexit

alexit

Feb 21, 2006
    I'm pretty sure that isn't a stock offering. It says it's an "Ikebe original MOD," I'm taking that to mean Ikebe (which is the name of the store) modded it.

12. i'll let you play my 18v MM'd P bass if you're ever in my neck of the woods...MM+Pbass is amazing, at least in my opinion

13. gregandgail

gregandgail

Dec 15, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Do you have any pics? I'm very interested in trying this mod. BTW, I already have the Big Block Precision and I love it...