1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Featured New from Ibanez: Updated BTB Bass Line Expands with 7 and 4-String Models

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, Jul 18, 2017.

1. TalkBass

TalkBass News Poster

Mar 12, 2004
    Bensalem, PA – Earlier this year, Ibanez introduced two new updated Bass Workshop models to their BTB Bass Series: the 5-string BTB745, and its 6-string companion, the BTB746. These new models were lauded for their new updated body shape, which took comfort and stability to a new level.

For Summer 2017, Ibanez is expanding the BTB700 series with the bold, new BTB747 7-string model— and its more traditional counterpart, the 4-stirng BTB740. Both basses feature the newly designed contoured body—for superior comfort—and a longer upper horn, which connects to the body at the 18th fret for improved stability and greater sustain. Other features include:
    • 35” scale neck-through design
    • Rosewood fretboard fitted with stainless steel frets
    • “Zero” fret —for superior intonation, also allows open strings to ring with the same resonance as notes played up the neck
    • Mono-rail V bridge—with each isolated saddle securely locked to the body for maximum vibration transfer and minimal sympathetic string interference
    • Bartolini® BH2 pickups—for a punchy, articulate sound with well-developed overtones

The ever-evolving Ibanez BTB series has always aimed to provide bassists with innovative instruments to expand and inspire creative expression. With the addition of the BTB747 and 740, Ibanez continues to redefine the term “Boutique Bass”.

Features

BTB747
    BTB740NTL.

• BTB 9pc Maple/ Rosewood/ Walnut neck-through
    • Walnut top/Mahogany/Ash body
    • Rosewood fretboard w/Abalone dot inlay
    • Medium Stainless Steel frets (+ zero fret)
    • Mono-rail V bridge
    • Bartolini® BH2 neck pickup
    • Bartolini® BH2 bridge pickup
    • Ibanez Custom Electronics 3-band EQ w/ 3-way Mid frequency switch (250Hz, 450Hz, 700Hz)
    • Cosmo Black hardware
    • D’Addario® NYXL strings
    • Natural Low Gloss (NTL) finish
    LIST: $1,377.76

BTB740
    BTB747NTL. BTB747NTL_Back.

• BTB 5pc Maple/ Rosewood neck-through
    • Walnut/ Mahogany/Ash body
    • Rosewood fretboard w/Abalone dot inlay
    • Medium Stainless Steel frets (+ zero fret)
    • Mono-rail V bridge
    • Bartolini® BH2 neck pickup
    • Bartolini® BH2 bridge pickup
    • Ibanez Custom Electronics 3-band EQ w/ 3-way Mid frequency switch (250Hz, 450Hz, 700Hz)
    • Cosmo Black hardware
    • D’Addario® NYXL strings
    • Natural Flat Low Gloss (NTL) finish
    LIST: $1,171.10

mellowgerman likes this.
  2. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    How is the 7-string cheaper than the 4 string?!?

Charlzm and gregmon79 like this.
  3. Woolber

Woolber Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2013
    Canada
    Volume discount on strings.

4. I love the playability and tone from the BTB line, but man those finishes are suboptimal.

NKBassman and gregmon79 like this.
  5. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I have no clue. But I know this, I'm super happy these are being made again. I may have to snag one at some point!

SirMjac28 likes this.
  6. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I would refinish mine.

Mechanical likes this.
  7. Bob Coldwell

Bob Coldwell

May 8, 2015
    7-string is $1377.76
    4-string is $1171.10.

4-string is cheaper than the 7-string.

NKBassman likes this.
  8. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I guess just the pictures are mixed up then?

9. Bob Coldwell

Bob Coldwell

May 8, 2015
    D'oh! You're right. I didn't notice that. Wasn't even looking at the tiny thumbnails.

10. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I'm glad they're going back to the old cutaway design. Always liked the aesthetic of the original BTB, but for a while there the double-cut looked kind of awkward to me with the neck meeting the body at the 22nd and 24th fret.

11. Kragnorak

Kragnorak

Sep 20, 2008
    I want a fretless BTB7 next. There were a couple tech-death songs that I wrote the bassline for but couldn't produce a good enough recording in my home studio, so Linus Klausenitzer did the job. The results sounded amazing. Check out the 2nd link for an example of great tone!

Linus Klausenitzer endorses Ibanez BTB7 7-string fretless Bass – Obscura

1) Cannonata, by Keegan Ostrowski

P.S. I already own two BTB5s, one of which is the BTB33, and I'm excited about the Ashula fretted/fretless 7 as well. As much as I like high-quality instruments like Dingwalls and Pedulla and F-Bass, Ibanez keeps sucking me in with exciting ideas and great sounding basses that are under boutique prices.