Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New from MTD - the "Heir" bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by craigb, Jul 12, 2001.

1. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

MTD seems to do a "stealth" thing with their basses - they keep coming out with new lines Grendel, Beast (now gone), Kingston and now the Heir without any announcements or fanfare that I've detected. But BassNW has them on their site. It looks like a Kingston with an added J neck pickup. All the goodness of the K4/K5 with added versatility. Here's a link to one of BassNWs.

http://www.bassnw.com/New Standard Basses/mtd_heir_4_st_tsb_rw.htm

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  3. i don't know about that, but i play heir guitar to old santana records all the time.

ba-dum TSSSHHH!

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

It kills me the way dealers/manufacturers can use scale length as a marketing tool , i.e., extended scale length invariably means a killer B and infer that 34"s categorically can't have one. :rolleyes:

I don't blame them, though.

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    They can use ANYTHING as a marketing tool:

Danelectro "vintage" batteries

Fender "relic" instruments

vacuum tubes

"true bypass"

Monster cable optimimzed for bass vs. optimized for keyboards!!??

digital

analog

6. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I'm sure they are very nice basses, but imo those pickguards are ugly as hell!! Why cover up that nice flamed maple with a piece of plastic?

7. I'm not normally one to have GAS, but this thing is making me drool all over my paperwork here!

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. rickbass

Brian - You hit that nail on the head .........(ANYTHING Monster cable, too, IMO, unless one doesn't have time to shop or a person can't spend money fast enough).

9. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    It says its made of "Basswood." Is that a joke or is their really a tree called a "basstree." Thats got to be a hilariously awful marketing tool.

10. rickbass

brewer - That's actually what its name is. Ibanez is one maker who uses it.

For tone, it is a great wood for a bass. It has dark, warm lows, so it would seem to be good for a laminate body as long as you stain it or put it in the middle of a sandwich, (not known for its cosmetics).

The problem with it is that is so soft, (think balsa). If something hits it you've got a noticeable dent in the wood. The common way around the issue is to put a thick finish on the instrument, if you don't mind a bass that looks like hard candy. I'm one of those who believe the candy-coat finishes choke off a lot of tone.

11. I prefer the Kingston. Course I have never been one to use my neck pickup so I suppose that would be one of the reasons why.

It is nice that Mike is offering versatility though.

12. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    As long as nobody starts marketing rosewood as 'wood from genuine red rose bushes' :D

13. BTW, basswood is pronounced like the fish, not like the musical instrument.

14. a) Why?

and

b) Prove it.

15. rickbass

JMX - funny thing about the rosewoods though--- the rosewoods got that name from the scent of roses that one smells when it is cut.

That's all of my trivia for the day.

16. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I'm with ya,they should lose the pickguard.I did on mine (K5.)

17. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i like it a lot. even the pickguard! something classic but not rip offed from fender!
    really nice bass!!

18. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars

It is pronounced "b-ass-wood" by every luthier I've ever talked to, not "base-wood". Including Mike T hisself, who stopped in Bass Central a while back for a visit, and was looking over the K5's we had in stock.

The bass is an excellent player and sounds great, just like the Kingston, which it really is anyhow. We've got 2 at Bass Central. My only beefs with it are:

1) The single coil p/u is NOISY. I'd need to replace it with a dual coil, I can't stand noise.

2) It's only available in that flame maple top with the sunburst finish. I don't care for sunbursts, I'd like to see a one color finish on it.

Put a set of Bartolini's in it with a NTMB and you have a psuedo-Lakland for well under a grand, if you can get past the sunburst. Two thumbs up!

19. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    My father in-law's middle name is "Troutwood" so I guess the idea of "Basswood" shouldnt seem so strange. Is Basswood always from the same type of tree or is it a type of press-board.

20. Thost look purty (IMO). How much do they cost? I'm afraid if I emailed Bass NW asking the price theyd probably think I planned on buying one that instant, and right now I'm in debt about 20 bucks :)eek: )