1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NEW Fulltone Bass-Drive Mosfet SOUNDCLIPS

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mark Olson, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Ok so my old clips bit the dust when putfile went down, but I have some new clips! Here you go, first is Comp Cut + Boost:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=889952&songID=7557774

Then FM/Mosfet (no boost):

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=889952&songID=7557779

Then FM/Mosfet with boost:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=889952&songID=7557786

If you want to hear anything else let me know and I'll try to get a recording when I can, I will be out of town for a few days though. And let me know what you think!

2. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    Good Clips. I have 2 Fulltones and love them mids. :D

3. LessIsmore

LessIsmore

Jul 23, 2008
    Athens, Greece
    I love its sound... I am seriously thinking of getting one. On a 1-10 scale, how would you rate its low end preserving?

4. BrickIsRed

BrickIsRed

Sep 16, 2008
    I had a chance to buy one or a SansAmp and I went for the SansAmp, but now I kinda wish I had this too.

5. JohnPativens

JohnPativens

Sep 20, 2005
    Italy
    Hey Mark, how much gain/drive (don't remember its knobs) is in there?

6. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    As far as low end retention goes, I've owned 4 Fulltone Bass-Drives, and I've got different results with different basses. On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give it a 6 or 7 with my Jazz Basses, but with the P/J I used for these clips (I used only the P pickup) it's an 8 or 9, probably a 9. So far I'm a lot happier with how this pedal sounds with my new P pickup than I was with my Jazz Basses. I've also got to check it out with my SG Bass and see how it is with that.

As far as gain goes, the settings I used on the pedal for these clips had the tone, drive, and boost all maxed out. However, there is considerably more distortion available in the "vintage" mode. I'll have to see about getting some clips done of that. Seriously, just without the boost, using the same settings the vintage mode sounds to me 1.5-2 times as driven as the FM mode, probably because of all those mids. Add the boost on that and it's easy to get some nice singing sustain in the vintage mode. While I need the boost for "leads" on the FM mode, I'm happy doing leads even without the boost on the vintage mode.

Hope that helps!

7. LessIsmore

LessIsmore

Jul 23, 2008
    Athens, Greece
    That was very helpful. Have you ever tried a non-mosfet version? It costs about 80$ less, is the mosfet good enough for the extra cash?

8. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Yes, I've had the first version which only had the vintage mode and Comp Cut which was available via a pull pot, and the non Mosfet version that included the FM mode. For me the Mosfet version is worth it, it sounds to me much better than the other two versions did to me, and on the Mosfet mode the all important low end seems thicker than on the standard mode to me. But if you decide to try to pick up a non-mosfet Bass-Drive, I'd highly recommend getting the one with the FM mode, I find that setting quite useful.

9. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    The clips sound great! I love the gritty texture of the overdrive, and those rich mids.

10. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Yeah, thanks! I think the pedal is sounding great with my new bass setup, but unfortunately when I recorded these clips something was buzzing out on my rig (in case anybody notices that)... I haven't ran into this problem since recording these clips though, so it must have been a fluke thing, and it's only noticeable in the clips if you listen to them very loud or listen hard. The nice grind of the FM/Mosfet no boost clip soars above that though even in these clips, and I'm pretty happy with that tone; that's where I'm leaving the pedal at for now. I'm still meaning to do more clips of the vintage mode and whatnot, and maybe some samples where I'll add a wah. This Fulltone Bass-Drive Mosfet is currently enjoying the main spot on my PT Jr., and I intend to keep it there for my current band and some upcoming projects I'll be working on.