Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new fusion tune from my group

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by narud, Jan 15, 2005.

1. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    well, this is from today's rehearsal. its only the second time we've played the song so its not perfect yet, but i thought it was pretty decent. as for song particulars, i wrote it as a tribute of sorts to the holdsworth era tony williams lifetime. its called timespan. im also doing some different stuff tone-wise than i usually do also. hope someone digs it :D

timespan

2. I dig the keyboardist's tone. Heck, I did all you guy's tones. Especially when the bass comes in with that staccato thing.

Great playing -- real tight and stuff. Then my eyeballs (or rather ears) fell out when I heard your bass solo.

Wait, you're from Morro Bay! That's like 4 1/2 hours away from where I live. Let me know when you're playing up in the Bay Area! I definitely want to hear you play live.

3. i plainly and simply loved that. Your bass tone kicks ass. How long you been playing, i almost started to think you were sean malone :D

4. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    thanks! i hope we can play up there some time soon because gigs for this type of music are pretty non-existent here. actually gigs have tried up for almost everyone :bawl:

5. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    ive been playing for 9 years. thanks for the compliment also. sean is great. maybe its because we're both gary willis fans. :D we traded some bootleg videos one time and he sent me some pictures of a clinic he did with gary. great player.

as for sound, i started using an old guitar overdrive pedal to get just enough gain for a more aggressive sound. i usually shy away from effects pedals, but i think im liking this one. thanks for taking a listen.

6. JonTheBassGuy

JonTheBassGuy

Dec 12, 2004
    hey man the songs awesome. oh yeah and awesome bass solo, blew me away. what guitar pedal are u using cuz that tone is beautiful.

7. Nice tune!

May I ask which bass and what gear you are using?

Christian

8. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    im playing my fodera emperor elite 5 in single coil mode through and eden wt400 and an epifani 210 cab. the pedal is an old boss super overdrive sd1. it has to be around 15 years old or so. its the weak link in my signal chain as its noisy and sucks off some low end, but its doing the job. sometime in the future id like to try out an rc or ac booster since they have a true bypass.

thanks for listening guys :bassist:

9. Not too many gigs in my area, either, which is why we usually play in Napa and places, because that's where all the wineries are. :)

10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Wow, with gear like that, you'd have to have one hell of an effects pedal for it NOT to be the weak link in THAT signal chain.

Great solo, cool band!

11. What kinda fingers are you using?

12. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    the short,stubby mexican kind! :D

13. Cool, I'll check those out one day.

And btw, I dig your band alot. I wanna have such a band too! :)
    Your playing is also very impressive - tight and powerful, yet melodic and musical.
    Cool indeed.

14. That's great! Your bass solo section is amazing, and the whole band sounds very tight!

15. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Pretty cool. The bass solo has a bit of a "breathless" quality too it - I was waiting for some space an it never happened! and I started feeling a bit tense. ;)

16. I really like your band dude, you're all spunky players with a lot of youthful energy - which will go along way - but I have to say I agree with Geshel here, you've got good technique, lovely tone and your musical ideas are absolutely heading in the right direction; but I could feel that you practically held your breath for the whole solo - I was holding mine by the end of it too.

I had a lesson recently with a great fretless jazz bassist here in London (he's called Rob Statham and is utterly brilliant) and he noticed I was getting tense during a solo I took in the lesson - and his advice was to watch my breathing; it really is crucial. You've definitely got some serious technique and some lovely chops - just try and leave some gaps in your lines - as ever work on the timing of your ideas (your time is fine) coming in at defferent points in the bar is a really cool way to make your lines sound hip, and playing across the bar is also a cool idea; plus repetition is cool as well - you've got it in the main; but hey, there's always room for improvement; and that goes for me too!

Keep it up; you and your band are killin'.

Cheers

M

17. I definitely hear the Tony Williams Lifetime "Believe It" vibe that your tune has. Great job! Just out of curiousity, what is your keyboard player using to get his Rhodes sound?

18. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    :D that's what i was going for on this tune. with the combination of the overdrive pedal i wanted an "attack mode" vibe. i dont always play like that. thaks for checking it out!

19. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    see the response to geshel. thanks for the advice though. i appreciate everyone listening. smash can attest i dont always solo like a total spaz :D he's got a couple cd's worth of my material that i sent him a while back. hell, ive given the "breathe like a horn player" advice before myself!