Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New G&L bass help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kingbrutis, Sep 17, 2005.

1. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    Just bought a used G&L JB2. I have read the reviews on HC and seen a few opionions here. I am looking for a nice clean tone that I can overdive with my amp. I am going to string it B-E-A-D. Anyway, just looking on some feedback about build quality, tone and will the electronics handle being tuned down. I should have it soon. It sure is pretty. Thanks Joe

2. I've played one or two of these

the build quality on all of the G&L's I've played has been excellent

and as far as tone, the Jb2 is very very close to a Fender jazz bass in tone, imo. It will get you nice lows (not the lowest lows, but low lows none the less), and great trebely highs

And I dont see any reason that it couldnt handle a B string, considering they make 5 string basses with J pickups all the time

3. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    That is an awesome bass, you'll love it. Super comfortable and pretty lightweight.

4. Sounds like some good reviews. (Lucky you!) It amazes me that someone will buy a bass like this and then AFTER the fact, ask if they're any good....

5. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    You bought that from a guy who posts on the Dudepit, didn't you. It has always been one of my favorites, and if I had the cash, I would have pulled the trigger. So that tells you what I think about it.

Now you will want more G&L's.

6. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

You might want to check the pickup mounting springs, to see if they have been dampened. If not, stuff some soft foam rubber down into them. The springs will "ring" from vibrations otherwise, and the pups will happily send that noise to your amp. I have a few JB-2's, they have all needed this mod.

7. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    I know that it is a quality bass, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it. It's just that I've never played a G&L jazz bass before. I generaly dont like the look of the standard you know "fender bass shape". I usually like the Warwick style of basses. With that said, I was told it was pretty light and and the finish looks amazing. It even has the matching metalflake headstock and nice binding on the neck.

Scottie, yes the dude pit. I would say between TB, HC and the DP, pretty much anything you need to know about bass is there. The only thing is that the websites can't play the bass your you. There is still practice. Later Joe