Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New G&L Bass - Ramp building help.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ninnlangel, Jan 22, 2006.

1. So, I put down my last pennies on a Custom G&L L-2500, pictures coming soon, when a friend lends me a digital cam.

I am in love with this bass. It sounds clean and bright, yet retains all my favorite JB characteristics, especially in passive mode.

I want to make a ramp for it, and I want it to cover the pickups too, as they aren't really radiused and close enough to the strings to provide playing confort, especially with exposed pole pieces (though the output is really hot). I have neither the tools, nor the skills to do that, and I am looking for someone to do it for me, out of a chunk of ebony.

So builders on TB, I am waiting for your offers. Especially if you're close to Montreal.

Thanks,

Ninn

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If you cover the pickups..wont that alter the sound significantly?

3. I don't think it would, but I might not understand how pickups work enough. I don't suppose a mm of ebony could have such an impact on the magnetic fields...

4. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Bring it to Pierre Laporte on Duluth Est. (crosses St. Denis) take the Sherbrooke metro is the closest I believe

5. Thanks ! Have you had this guy do some work for you ? I was thinking of going to MF too, but I wanted other perspectives :)

6. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    MF? Pierre is a pro. Fellow Montrealais Balor (another TBer) would agree and has bought a bass or 2 from Pierre in the past and last I checked had an 8 string in the works with him. Anyways Pierre is top notch and more than willing to sit down and talk to you, run you through all the pros and cons of ramps and tell you what you can and can't do concerning you bass and everything.

http://www.djangomontreal.com/doc/PierreLaporte.htm

I suggest calling before going.

7. Thanks, I'll definitely call him tomorrow.

8. covering the pickups with wood will not alter the sound at all.

the magnetic field strength will not be affected by the wood enough compared to free air to make a difference.

I am planning on doing a very similar thing (ramp over pickups on one of my basses).