New G&L but strap button hole stripped

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fighterfire, Oct 11, 2003.

1. Not sure this is the right place for this.

A few weeks ago I bought a 1993 G&L L-2000 off of ebay. I was horrified when I opened the case and saw that the bass was so disgusting. I spent nearly a whole day cleaning and setting it up. Then I found a problem with the output jack, one of the contacts was broken. It took two days just to find the part locally.

So far I love this bass. I have got it set up to my liking and it just feels so good. I think it was a smart move and a good buy. After cleaning it up it looks great. The sound is incredible.

Now for the real question. Today I realized that the bottom strap button was loose. The hole is slightly stripped. I have seen some comments before about using something to fill the hole with but I am still not sure what the best material would be. What should I use?

Here is a pic:
  2. Do the famous tooth pick trick, just put a toothpick into the hole and break it of, and them screw it back in, no glue or anything
  3. Yup, toothpick works...i had to do it to my Harris Sig bass...
    I used some really strong epoxy and glued your standard toothpicks in the hole..worked like a charm :)
  4. Looks like you did a nice job of cleaning it up too.
  5. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    I usually use a matchstick with a little wood glue. The matchsticks are genrally larger than the toothpicks but either will do the job of acting as a filler so you can re-screw the button back in.
  6. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I use toothpicks and super glue. I've tried toothpicks without glue. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Add the glue and it always works.
  7. notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    i just use a wooden match stick w/ out glue, but i guess glue can only make it better.

btw: thats one fine bass you got there
  8. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Those big...fat kitchen matches always work as long as you can get them tapped in.
  9. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    You can also go to a hardware or home improvement store and buy a package of little foil strips designed for just this purpose. The strips look like a fine cheese grater. You cut smaller strips off the postage stamp size originals and stuff 'em in the offending hole. Screw your strap button back in and voila! :)
  10. cods

Sep 16, 2003
    when i had to do this to my strap locks, i put cotton in the hole, then super glue, and then the strap lock.
  11. RobbieK

Jun 14, 2003
    I recommend the toothpicks, but with wood glue, - not super glue - because a damp rag will wipe away any excess titebond, or PVC glue, but super glue spilled on the finish will make a mess...
  12. I use the tooth pick and glue method.

You did an excellent job cleaning that bass up. It sure is a beauty!

13. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Yep....what she said.:D
  14. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    This works fine on the bottom of a bass, but beware of doing it on the strap button on the upper horn.

I had an upper horn start to split a few months after doing the "toothpick" trick.

A safer, if more difficult, procedure is to fill the hole with plastic wood (filler), let it dry, and then drill the new whole, being careful to use a drillbit only as wide as the shaft (not the threads) of your strap button screw.