1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New G&L L-2500 owner

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by gastric, Sep 27, 2009.

1. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Source Audio BETA tester
    I just picked up a brand new G&L L-2500. This is both my first G&L instrument, and the first factory new instrument I've purchased in probably 20 years. I almost always buy used simply for the value and resale potential.

Anyway, I have the following issues/comments about the instrument I hope someone can help me with.

* Though I purchased it new last week, the QA stamp on the back is March 2008.
    * The instrument was shipped extremely detuned. I'm not sure if that's normal practice or not.
    * The instrument has an absolutely horrible setup and/or a neck issue. Specifically anything fretted above about the 9th fret rattles heavily, and sometimes nearly frets out.
    * The output on this thing is just insanely high and overpowering. I have other active instruments and this thing just crushes when run at full output volume. If I turn the output volume down about 1/3 or so then it seems to be more on par with my other basses, or if I run it in parallel mode. Of course, the neck pickup is more prone to this than the bridge pickup. I know the output on these is known to be high, but it's really high.
    * Would it be too much to ask that they include a tiny placard or manual illustrating the switch and knob functions? :)

I'm not sure what I should have realistically expected from a factory new instrument. But I guess I pictured pulling it from the box and having it not only look visually flawless (which it does) but play flawlessly as well. Instead the neck/setup is extremely disappointing.

Is it normal to have to take a factory new instrument that retails for $799 and immediately take it to a shop for a setup?

2. bhunt1

bhunt1 Vintage Lefty Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Older than dirt ;)
    Sorry about your bad luck. Did you get it from a dealer? - if so, take it back and make 'em fix it. A setup should help with your bass. Here is the instruction sheet for the controls that came with my used L2500.

3. First off, congratulations!

And let's be clear; new for $799 is a G&L Tribute bass - not a USA G&L bass.

The bass was built, in Indonesia, in March of 2008. If you'd wanted one "fresher", you could have looked around a bit.

Not normal at all. This would be the shipping dealer's practice, not G&L's.

Based on the date mentioned above, it sounds like this one has been around the block a bit or hanging on a dealer's wall. They generally come out of the factory with a decent setup.

Welcome to G&L L series basses. As with ANY active bass, the volume should never be dimed (turned up all the way), and this is particularly true of G&Ls - even in passive mode. It will help to forget whatever you may have learned about Ps & Js.

I'm not sure what ships as case candy with the Tributes, but I'm thinking that a roadmap should have been there. Maybe this will help.

It sounds to me like this is a dealer issue. A new G&L bass, whether USA or Tribute, should have good playability right out of the box. This one clearly did not, and the dealer in question didn't receive it in this condition.

Nope, not at all. It should be at least close and the Tributes almost always are. Any tweaking necessary would be to set it up to the user's exact spec.

Sorry you're disappointed.

Ken...

4. bhunt1

bhunt1 Vintage Lefty Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Older than dirt ;)
    Instruction sheet

Attached Files:

5. gastric

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Source Audio BETA tester
    Yes, it's obviously not a USA made model. Sorry that I didn't specify it was a TRIBUTE. Not that it should matter IMO for the issues I've noted.

As far as "fresher" I never thought to specifically ask the born on date. I've purchased new equipment before that was 1-2 years old so it's nothing unique. But I thought I'd mention it since the sticker was right there on the unit.

That's my guess as well. And possibly due to the detuning it could've simply been sitting in the gigbag or case for some length of time. And all that time sitting detuned could possibly be the cause of my neck/setup issues. At least that's my barely-educated guess. I'm a self-taught musical hack, and certainly no guitar tech.

First I've ever heard of such a thing. But it jives with what I've experienced with this bass. Previous basses are a Japanese Ibanez P+J with active EQ, Ibanez SR506 dual soapbar Barts w active EQ, Peavey T-40 (also known to have high output).

All of my issues are part of the risk of buying something sight unseen over the internet. Quite honestly I got it at such an excellent price I won't mind driving and paying for a setup. But it still doesn't negate my general disappointment.

But really I was hoping to finally have a high end level instrument that plays flawlessly without incessant fret rattles. Which I very well may have after a setup.

6. From a standpoint of how the bass feels to you, the difference should be slight with the ISA basses having a nicer feel. However, the dealer in question may handle the USA basses differently than the imports, and this may have to be considered.

I understand. My point here is that this one has been around a while and we really don't know the conditions under which it was stored.

Someone detuned it after leaving the factory, and that someone wasn't from G&L. Shipping a bass detuned should not normally be harmful. Storing one for a long period of time detuned my be harmful, depending on the individual instrument.

I'd retune the bass and just let it sit for a few days on a stand with no further adjustment. Allow it to acclimate to your location then see where it is.

G&Ls are really hot. My normal recommendation is to set treble & bass to about 75% and volume no more than 80%. Switching to taste, but know that series will be even hotter.

Yup - it happens. It could be that the price was low because the dealer knew there were problems. If they have a decent return policy, you might consider that option. Your general disappointment, while perfectly justified, might be better directed at the dealer. G&L didn't create this problem.

If you decide to chalk up your experience here to education and keep the bass, you do have a one year warranty. If the neck problems can't be resolved through normal means, then I'd recommend a call to G&L.

Good luck!

Ken...

7. gastric

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Source Audio BETA tester
    Per the registration/warranty paperwork it's a 2 year warranty, actually. I have 2 authorized G&L dealers locally though neither could touch the price. We'll see how happy they are to provide service if needed. I always feel like an ass doing that, but such is life with the internet pricing.

8. Good to see they've increased the warranty period.

As far as a non-selling dealer supporting the product goes, you'd have to ask them. I'm not sure that the dealer agreement covers instruments purchased elsewhere. Even if it was the selling dealer, they'd likely thrown anything even remotely major to G&L. You too can go directly there if need be. They are sometimes slow to get things done, but generally reliable.

Support instructions and contact info can be found here.

Ken...

9. PluckyThump

PluckyThump

Jan 4, 2008
    The Hammer
    This is what you should do first:

Sounds like your bass was re-setup after it left the factory. In my experience most people, dealers included, do not set up an instrument properly. The most common error I see is tightening the truss rod until the neck is almost back-bowed, in an effort to get low action. Your bass may be a victim of this, or it might be too straight from being stored de-tuned for a long time. If the buzzing doesn't go away you can loosen the truss rod a 1/4 turn then wait a day or two. That should release the neck. If after doing this the buzzing moves up to the higher frets then you may need to raise the bridge saddles.

Forgive the off-topic but the other setup error I see is owners/dealers who have truss rod-a-phobia. They refuse to touch the rod ever, the bass sits on the rack, and over time the fingerboard dries out and pulls the neck into excessive up-bow, wrecking the action so that nobody wants to buy it, so it sits longer and gets more bowed, and so on. Then someone like me who is not afraid to adjust a bass comes along and buys it at a discount. :cool: A while back I was at a recording studio that had a Geddy Lee Jazz in house and the thing had a ski-jump neck like you wouldn't believe, it was un-playable. The studio owner told me nobody ever wanted to use it, I told him that was because the neck is too bowed and the truss rod needed to be tightened up and he reacted like it was a big pain in the neck to do that. :rollno:

10. pkmoor

pkmoor

Jun 4, 2009
    Maple Glen, PA
    Is the QA stamp you refer to a round sticker on the back of the control plate? I just picked up a used one and was curious if the April 2008 date on it was the date from G&L or some date from the store inventory (my sticker is not whole, so it just has a date and the words "Inspected by").

11. gastric

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Source Audio BETA tester
    Correct.

12. gastric

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Source Audio BETA tester
    Adding to my list of gripes about this instrument.... THE PICKUP SPRINGS.

Today I noticed a slight high pitched ringing after every note. I can mute the strings, tap on the bridge/string/instrument and hear it. It's sometimes audible when playing, though not always as it's pretty high pitched and not extremely loud. I haven't run it through a DAW yet but I'm assuming it'd be a lot more noticeable via headphones VS pumping through a cab.

Additionally, you cannot rest your thumb on the pickups or you hear TINK! TANG! from the pickup springs with any pressure exerted on the pickups.

At least I'm hypothesizing that it's the pickup springs making both noises.

Silly, silly stuff. :meh:

13. gastric

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Source Audio BETA tester
    Yes, I love having to modify factory new product to overcome apparent engineering deficiencies. Pull strings, pull pickups, screw with the springs, reassemble, hope you don't F' something up in the process, probably have to try it a few times to get it right.... Don't mind me, I'm grumpy all of the time. :p

But seriously folks. Noisy pickup springs on a $799 instrument? My first guitar had a noisy CHINK noise whenever using the horrible Flyod Rose rip-off tremolo thanks to chipped pivots. But it cost under $100.

14. Heh... This is what we call making the bass our own. :rolleyes:

Ken...

15. gastric

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Source Audio BETA tester
    It's what I call fixing engineering defects. It'd be like buying a brand new car and having it making a whistling noise through the driver side window and having to jury rig some non-visible fix yourself using duct tape or something. Probably not a good analogy as you'd take it to the dealer, they'd hopefully give you a loaner while they fix it. Maybe it'd be like buying a brand new amp with scratchy pots and immediately having to take the thing apart and spray contact cleaner in the pots, assuming they're not sealed.

16. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    Sucks to hear that your new beast has a few issues. But get it set up and deal with the spring ping and hopefully you'll be a happy camper. You might also try lowering the pickups a bit, to control the output, if it's still too overpowering. I personally put my neck pickup down so the outer lip of the pickup is about 1/16" above the body, and adjust the bridge pickup so the output balances with the neck pickup.

I'm surprised that a "my new L2500" thread has gone this far without Ken pushing for through-body stringing or his bridge mod...:D:bag:

17. I understand your point and the frustration.

In this case, it isn't so much an engineering issue as it is a QA issue. Doesn't make it better though.

The USA L-2000 that I no longer have came out of the factory with little strips of thin neoprene inside the spring coils. I assume that other basses from that time (around 2000) had the same thing. Then, mysteriously, G&L forgot to install the strips and didn't remember them anymore. Or maybe they ran out. Who knows?! We started seeing and hearing about a large number of JB-2s that had string ping BAD. I don't know if the factory ever dealt with it, but the guys in the trenches sure did; with foam or neoprene. Now the US factory is using foam pads instead of springs, which to me is a step backward.

To hear about it now with the Tributes, where I definitely wouldn't expect it, is surprising. It's a pain to fix, but at least it's easy to fix. Time to fix would probably be low on the Hello Kitty! time scale.

Ken...

chapito likes this.
  18. Watchit there, Bub! :eyebrow:

They just had one of their semi-annual dust-ups over at the KCC and I remained amazingly calm. You don't want to endanger that, do you? :eek:

Ken...

19. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    I like to push my luck. :p