1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NEW! G&L M-Series Basses!

Discussion in 'Rocket Music' started by RocketMusic, Dec 6, 2011.

1. RocketMusic

RocketMusic Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    You may have heard rumors about this, but G&L just made it official. The new G&L M-Series basses are now available, and they're taking orders!

It looks like the major change is in the electronics. They've replaced the L2K's preamp with a more modern 18V/3-band on-board preamp. Also, the controls are now volume/blend instead of volume with a 3-way toggle pickup selector. This should make for a wider range of tonal possibilities. The pickups themselves haven't changed, so the basic L2K tones should still be in there...

Here's the electronic flier they've sent out:

G&L%20M-Series.

2. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
  3. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    I think they modified the pickups some, too.

4. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Yeah, it looks like the pole pieces are black now. Are there any non-aesthetic differences?

5. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    My memory's a bit hazy, but a while back I did read about this on their forum(the bass series in general), and as far as I remember, the pickup is re-voiced some. Weather it's different materials, or winding, wasn't mentioned.

6. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Will L-series still be produced?

7. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    I'm assuming so, at least for the forseeable future. They've made no mention of discontinuing anything, just adding...

8. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    They're different enough tonally(supposedly), yet close enough physically, that I'd imagine both staying as options. Really, all they have to do different is drill different holes for the controls.

9. If this necks werent so baseball battish...these def. intrigue me..:bassist:

10. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    That's the thing with G&L, you have neck options, can't you order one with a thinner neck?

11. Perhaps...these would def. be in my wheelhouse... i have checked and after upgrade charges these would be in Roscoe Century Standard range... an you know...:bassist:

12. I have 2 L-2500's: one is from 2001 and my new one from this year. The neck on the '01 is a bit thick (hardly baseball battish), but the new one feels slimmer to me, especially at frets 1-5 (or where 1-5 would be).

For the true Louisville Slugger effect, see Warwick.

13. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I have several L2K's and I can't wait to hear some sound clips of this new version. It'll be interesting to compare the new 3-band eq with the old 2-band and the new pickups.

14. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    I guess I should go ahead and order one or two, huh?

If anyone is on the fence about picking one of these up, let me know the specs you'd like. I'll order it with no commitment from you. I figure I might as well stock something that appeals to somebody other than me. :)

15. j.kernodle

j.kernodle

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    sent ya a PM there Greg on a spec idea.

16. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Sounds good to me - I'll get that ordered tomorrow or Monday!

17. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    I think I like the idea of these. Do they offer and series/parallel/single coil split options?

18. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Qu├ębec
    I'd like to hear soundclips.

19. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Here are some specs I found out there on the interwebs. There's no mention of splitting the HBs or series/parallel. Either of those things could be done with a push-pull pot as long as the pickups are still 4-coductor... I'm not sure that's a standard feature, but I'll try to find out.

G&L M-Series Bass Specs:
    •Pickups: Two G&L Magnetic Field humbucking pickups
    •Body Wood for M-2000: Alder on Standard and all solid finishes, Swamp Ash on Premier Finishes
    •Body Wood for M-2500: Basswood on Standard and all solid finishes, Swamp Ash on Premier Finishes
    •Neck Wood: Hard Rock Maple with Rosewood or Maple fingerboard
    •Neck Profile for M-2000: G&L #12 with 12” radius and 1 5/8” nut-width
    •Neck Profile for M-2500: G&L #10 with 12” radius and 1 3/4” nut-width
    •Frets: Medium Jumbo; processed by PLEK
    •Tuning Keys: Custom G&L “Ultra-Lite” with aluminum tapered string posts
    •Bridge: G&L Saddle Lock with chrome-plated brass saddles
    •Electronics: G&L M-spec 18v preamp, volume, pan, 3-band boost/cut EQ with center detents
    •Case: Deluxe Hardshell Tolex Case w/Fitted Interior

20. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Hey LG,
    I know that G&L offers several different neck profiles on their 4 string basses and if you played one of those it may have be one of the narrow "C" models with the 7-1/2" radius. That would definitely feel a bit like a baseball bat.
    I recently traded for a recent L2500 and the neck feels very good. G&L doesn't offer different neck profiles for the L2500 model but it does have a 12" radius and is very comfortable to play.

Back on topic:

It's good to see G&L offering more options in the on-board electronics. Hopefully the P/U's shown are of a different design. That would give folks that don't love the standard G&L sound (which I actually do) an alternative sound to chose.
    IMO if they don't offer a pickup design different than their MFD P/U the bass will sound relatively the same.

I went through a "Bump" phase one a new G&L L1500 8-9 years ago and tried just about everything you could imagine electronically on that bass. I installed a Demeter preamp, an Aggie OBP-3 preamp and even added a neck G&L MFD pickup. In the end it still sounded like the same G&L. The different preamps at best just provided a slightly different flavor of the G&L sound.
    Those MFD P/U's have a very unique and strong voicing. Regardless of how you change the preamp electronics, those MFD pickups are the biggest contributor to the G&L sound.