Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New G&L!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nomadic Herder, Mar 28, 2003.

1. Finally! I got my new bass. It wasn't the L2500 or L2000 I'd been waiting for. I tried those out and there was just TOO much going on there. The store had a used 1997 SB2. It's fantastic. There are a couple of tiny nicks on the finish. It has a Jazz-width neck which is really fast. Came with a (funny smelling) hardshell case too. $600 with 2 free sets of strings. I'm happy. :D

Now buy my P-bass.

[​IMG]

2. Love the color! One of my favorites has always been a dark sunburst and a black pickguard. And I bet it sounds just as good as it looks.:cool:

jtbp

3. That's great! I've got one exactly like it (I think mine was made in '96 though).

A great bass indeed. I sold may last Fender when I got that one. :)

4. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I have the same case... Freedom by SKB?..

Mine kinda smells like vanila, I think it is the foam injecting....

Alex

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    That's a really nice bass, I've been wanting to get one for a while now. Great price, too!!!!:bassist:

6. I'm not sure about what model it is. It's rectangular, plastic and has a G&L logo printed into it. The inside is a nice furry carpeting. :)

7. Yes, exactly. I've always thought it was a rather nice vanilla smell.

I've just renewed my love with my L-2000 recently. I've always been a little hot and cold on that bass (while totally loving the tone of my L-2500). My L-2000 (a very heavy solid ash) always had a rather "knocky" tone to it and I'd be contstantly trying to dial out the excessive midrange. I finally put some D'Addario Chromes (flats) on it the other day and the bass just suddenly sounds exactly the way I wanted it. It has a really nice warmth to it now and the mids seem much more tame in comparison. I've never enjoyed the bass so much as at my gig last night.

Anyway, enjoy your new G&L. They are truly fine instruments.

8. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    better than sweat, and blood... Which is what my bass smells like after most gigs...

Alex ;)

9. I've had it a couple days now. It still had the original dead 40-95 strings on it. I put some new 50-105s on it and turned the truss rod. After a good cleanup, the thing looks amazing. It has the exact tone and feel I want from a bass. I had been thinking my lack of tone was my amps, but it was the basses. I can leave my Ampeg flat now and it sounds great.

No more cheap foreign basses for me I guess. :D

10. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    How jazz bassy does that SB2 sound?

11. With both pickups on full, the bass has the smooth sound of a Jazz. It also has a sharp cut in the mids, and a lot of high end clarity. The bridge pickup soloed sounds exactly like a jazz bass w/ solo bridge pickup would. With both pickups, there's still some of that P bottom and thud, but not much.