1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Gallien-Kreuger MB115-II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bonedaddio, Mar 14, 2013.

1. bonedaddio

bonedaddio

Mar 12, 2013
    Just picked up a new bass combo... unbelievable sound at a crazy weight. These things are unlike anything else I've played at that price range and weight.
    Anybody tried the powered extension cabs for these? They must be something else!:D:

2. bonedaddio

bonedaddio

Mar 12, 2013
    Hmm... no love for the GK MB115 - II.

Are they that new? couldn't seem to find a PDF manual for it either...

3. Lots of love for the G-K combos! The version II came out recently and the powered extension cabs are just now tricking out of the G-K factory in California. Not sure how many people have the MBP cabs yet? But G-K makes products that others would charge a whole lot more for!

4. bonedaddio

bonedaddio

Mar 12, 2013
    OK, that's why no manual PDF yet.
    I'm new to bass, but after trying most the Combo makes and models anywhere near (and some a LOT more expensive) the MB115-II, I didn't find anything even near it's class for sound and power (not to mention it's a on-hander!!).
    I was thinking down the road a GK extension might make sense, as I play live in a variety of situations.

5. This is true! You could add the MBP 115 for a 400 watt 215 rig or add the MBP 212 for 700 watts into 2 12" and 1 15" :D

G-K is owned by one man Robert A Gallien who started with the first amp he designed in his garage back in the late 1960's. His aim has always been great gear musicians can afford. Welcome to G-K! :)

6. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I have a pdf of the manual for the new Series II combos that the guys at the factory recently sent to me. I've got a MB410-II on order and plan on ordering a MBP410-II shortly after it arrives. I asked the customer service guys at G-K if they would send me the manual for both and they did.

There's just a single manual for all models of the MB Combos.

PM me your email address and I'll send you a copy.

TD

7. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I want to check one out so bad. I'm on the fence about this amp and the extremely similar TC Electronic BG250. The TC gets more favorable reviews, is cheaper, and has more features, but man I love GK stuff.

Is your amp USA made?

8. Randy S

Randy S

Jul 7, 2008
    Western WA
    The GK MB II line is made in USA.

The TC is made in China.

In my book, case closed.

9. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    You think it would be ok to add a 115 to a 212 even with all the rants about unmatching speakers in one rig?

10. I gigged with my MP115 II last night. We were having trouble with the FOH speakers, so I had to really push it hard all evening. Sounded great and never missed a beat.

I would like to add the MBP115 extension for gigs once I come up with the scratch. The combo is perfect for lugging around to practices, but it would be nice to have a little more oomph for shows.

11. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    That's definitely a rarity these days, especially in this price range. I'm already a GK fanboy as it is :)

12. Davyo

Davyo Davyo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Las Vegas, Nv
    When the BG250 was first announced I put one on order,,,, waited months for its release, finally got it, took it to my studio and plugged it in, compared it to my GK MB115 side by side or a few hours, put the BG250 back in the shipping box and returned it !!!!

The problem with the BG250 is the tone, or lack of it,,,, it's muddy and flat and boring.

Cheers
    Davyo

13. What has amazed me about the GK MB115 II is that I've yet to move any of the tone controls from the 12 o'clock position. It sounds so awesome with everything flat that I haven't bothered to tweak anything. Come to think of it, I don't even know if my tone controls work because I haven't wanted to use them.

14. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    I've got a new MB212-II and the only thing I've had to eq is a little more or less hi or lo mid for certain gigs. Rooms can sound dull or boomy

15. pglaser01

pglaser01

Mar 19, 2013
    St. Louis, MO
    If only I were that good....
    I've got the old MB115...love it...although the XLR out was just a weird set up. I've heard rumors that GK will add the chain out to the old version MB combos to allow running extension cabs...anyone know if these rumors are true?

16. Andyman001

Andyman001 moderation must be taken with a grain of salt

Feb 11, 2010
    Idaho
    You have to pay for shipping & show proof of purchase of an MBP Powered cab and they will install the "Chain Out"

Call or email GK customer service to be sure:)