1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Gallien-Krueger combo amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Megazap63, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Megazap63

Megazap63

Apr 12, 2009
    London, UK
    Hi all,

I'm looking at buying a light combo for gigs in bars and small clubs, mainly for jazz gigs, but with enough oomph to cut the odd funk, rock gig. At the moment I'm using an Ashdown EVOII 500 2x10 rig which is ridiculously heavy and more power than I need.

I've read rave reviews of the new 200W GK MB115 (15" spkr with HF tweeter) and, having used a GK 800RB in the past, have no doubt of the quality of this new combo.

So does anyone know how the new GK MB112 (200W, 12" spkr, no tweeter) compares?

I'm tossing up between (1) buying an MB115 and selling the Ashdown, since the MB115 is reputed to have plenty of grunt, and (2) buying an MB112 and hanging on to the Ashdown for louder gigs.

What do you think? Would I be better off with option 1 or 2?

Also, since I'm based in London UK and they're not available her yet, I'm most likely gonna be buying from an o/s dealer without road-testing first.

All useful advice gratefully sought!

Cheers, Chris

2. LiamR

LiamR

Aug 15, 2010
    I'd like to hear some responces, as I need a decent amp for funk/rock at around the £500 margin.

3. Chowowbus

Chowowbus

Mar 24, 2009
    Olympia WA
    I would take 115 at 200w over the 12 any day of the week.
    You dont have to use the tweet, but its nice to have if you do want it..

4. Megazap63

Megazap63

Apr 12, 2009
    London, UK
    Have you played through both? If so, how do they compare (ie, fatness, highs/mids/lows, weight etc)?

Cheers

5. busta_bird

busta_bird

Mar 11, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    I have a MB115 and love it. I had a few weeks of poor customer service from GK, but once that was resolved, I was good to go. The amp sounds incredible and is extremely light weight. I've ran dozens of pedals through it which all have sound great as well. You'll not get an Ampeg sound out of it (unless you get pedal) but it sounds great nevertheless. If mine were stolen I'd buy it again.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021