1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Gallien-Krueger Combos are hot!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wrilley, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Wrilley

Wrilley

Jan 2, 2012
    Detroit, MI USA
    So I got the 2012 catalog from Gallien-Krueger, and they've updated their combo amps.

*New look, more of a classic look instead of that kinda funky metal grid. A big improvement IMO.

*Chain out feature. All the amps can use a "chain out" to connect to powered cabinets (a new line entirely), they don't work like an extension cab, so you can have an mb212 with it's full 500w output and connect an extension without changing impedance. (The 210 still requires an extension to get the full 500w, presumably 500w into the 2 10's is too much).

That's all I know, afaik the other features are the same. I didn't get a price, hoping they're in the same ballpark. Should be out around March/April according to Jason at Gallien.

I don't work for them btw, just an interested customer.

Here's the catalog:
    imgur: the simple image sharer

Cheers

2. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I just got an email form Jason as well and he told me the same thing March/April.....

3. rollyolly

rollyolly Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2011
    So you heard it directly from GK that these will be available March or April? Do we know anything about prices yet? I figured as far as price, the only direction GK could go is up.

4. They have really gone to town! Cool stuff.

5. Wrilley

Wrilley

Jan 2, 2012
    Detroit, MI USA
    Yeah, timeline is from a Gallien rep. I emailed him about pricing just now. I'll let you know what he says.

6. Wrilley

Wrilley

Jan 2, 2012
    Detroit, MI USA
    Wow, he got back to me fast.

Combo: . . .Power: . . . Weight. . .Street Price:. . Old Version Price:
    MB 110 . . .100W. . . . . 21 lb. . . . $299. . . . . . . N/A (new model)
    MB 112 II . 200W. . . . . 30 lb. . . . $375. . . . . . . $349
    MB 115 II . 200W. . . . . 38 lb . . . .$449. . . . . . . $399
    MB 210 II . 350/500W* 35 lb . . . . $699. . . . . . . $599
    MB 212 II . 500W. . . . . 41 lb . . . .$799. . . . . . . $699
    MB 410 . . .500W. . . . . 51 lb . . . .$899. . . . . . . .N/A (new model)

So an increase but not drastic (phew).
    *Still has the ability to run 8 ohms standalone @ 350W, and 4 ohms with and ext cab at 500 watts, in addition (I assume) to the chain out ability.

7. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Mr. Gallien told me the price for the MBP115 would be $349.00 I think.....

8. Wrilley

Wrilley

Jan 2, 2012
    Detroit, MI USA
    That's a pretty good deal since it's basically combo minus the controls. I like this chain out thing, makes them easier to expand without having separate head/cab. Almost the best of both worlds. I'm pretty stoked to hear these when they're out. I was *this* close to getting the 115, now I'm going to wait a bit and get the new version :)

9. Wrilley

Wrilley

Jan 2, 2012
    Detroit, MI USA
    Oh and you can connect up to 4 extensions*. So take a 500 watt 4x10. Daisy chain on 4 more.... 20 10inch drivers and 2500 watts....
    GASing....

*Edit:

Actually I think I misunderstood this, there are 4 versions of the extension cabs, but I think it's unlimited how many you can add.

10. BrentSimons

BrentSimons Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Vergennes,VT USA
    Uh oh I don't see my Neo 210 listed in the catalog. Well at least I have one right?:D
    Brent

11. impactwrench

impactwrench

Feb 22, 2009
    i wonder if there were any changes to the structure of the cabs, or if the walls were lined with batting?

12. mtengaio

mtengaio

Feb 17, 2009
    Thanks for posting this info. I too was close to buying the 115 but will now wait for the new model as I want to be able to add another cab down the road.

13. Stev187

Stev187 Peavey MegaBass Club!

Jan 11, 2011
    Toledo, OH
    Here's a crappy iPhone snapshot of the catalog page. The new look is cool. Looks like some kind of recessed GK logo on the sides, too.

--Steve

Attached Files:

14. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    I recently ordered the new version of the mb 112 combo i wont be getting it until march or april. 299.00 out the door from RMC audio direct they have the best prices that i know of on GK..I was just wonderin if the mb112 is gonna have a powered 112 mate to go with it???:help:

15. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'm sure these new ones are nice. I just picked up the older MB210 for a good deal at GC because it was the last one of the old model. I'm really impressed with this combo so far. It is crazy to have a 2x10 this light!

16. Great idea for the powered cabs!

new line looks nice, is that duratex?

17. Theres no mention of the new combos on their website but they're still advertising the MB^(2)500.

18. SwitchGear

SwitchGear

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    I have had a jones to pick up a small GK MB combo for some time but the always shied away, I don't care for Chinese construction. If it is true the new dark grilled combo's are to be made in the US, I will buy one just as soon as they become available. I didn't care to much for the brite metal grill, but the darker look of the new product looks instant classic, imo.

19. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Steve,do you think you can clarify that post above this one? are the new combos made in China or good o USA I really dont think it matters cause from what I have read is that the plant in China is ran by GK employees and not an outside company?? and I also heard that all GK is back here now not in China???

20. Stev187

Stev187 Peavey MegaBass Club!

Jan 11, 2011
    Toledo, OH
    All I know is what I've read here on TB. My unit was made in China (says so on the back), but it was recently repaired by the GK shop in California--nice guys, by the way.

There are folks on TB who know a lot about GK's production, so they will probably weigh in on your question about where the new combos will be made. Seems to me several threads here have mentioned it's all coming back to the US, though.

With the exception of the failure that required a repair, our MB210 has been a fantastic amp. It's well documented here on TB, but I'll just add that the MB210 has the same amp as the separate MB500 head.

--Steve

P.S. Here's my kid playing the thing (while the amp section was in for repair, hence the backup head on top).

megabassowen.