Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New gaming platforms suck

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Psyrcle, May 17, 2005.

1. Psyrcle

Psyrcle Guest

Really how much better in the graphics department can we get without having seemless wireframe models?

They keep uping the HD and processors but until I play a game on the new platforms I see no point in getting either a PS2 or XBOX 360º.

Don't let corporate america take your paychecks.

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Um....thanks?

:rollno:

3. Psyrcle

Psyrcle Guest

It's good to give thanks. Especially to the Lord. Thank him everyday for the body he blessed you with. But why thank me?

4. ... okey dokey then. So why don't you wait until you can play them, and then get all giddy. Meanwhile, some of us are going to get giddy beforehand.

5. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    New systems = higher performance = more potential. Consoles can do now what would've been unheard of a few years ago. It can only get better from here. Why are you content with the current state of video games? That's like being stopping at PS One, when PS2 was clearly better, and PS3 will destroy both of 'em.

How much better can they get? A lot. Consoles are still crap compared to PCs, and even PCs have a long way to go. The absolute limit of CG graphics, IMO, will be when they approach reality, or are indistinguishable from it.

To sum it up... if you see no reason to get the newest console, don't. Both Sony and Microsoft will be recieving my paychecks, without a doubt.

6. Psyrcle

Psyrcle Guest

It seems that any product Microsoft or Sony releases is only a step better when they could be using all the technology they invented and made it a leap and bound better. Why?

7. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I understand what you mean. Kinda like Intel releasing the newest processors in 200 MHz increments every quarter. You know they have technology much more advanced than that, but they're doing what it takes to make the most money for their business.

OTOH, just how much technology do you expect to be packed in a box for around $2-300?

Both new consoles are gonna kick either way, IMO. :)

8. Psyrcle

Psyrcle Guest

$2-300? I paid full price for my GC and $80 for a refurbished ps2 with 4 games, 2 refurb controllers, and 2 memory cards. $300? ***? if they were $150ish I wouldn't be all up in arms really.

9. Psyrcle

Psyrcle Guest

[​IMG]

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    John Dvorak has a pretty interesting article in the newest issue of PC Mag (June 7) about "Moore's Law" and how it's purposefully maintained by the tech companies.

brad cook

11. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    New consoles are always more expensive at launch. I was with a friend who purchased PS2 the day they were in stores... $300. They'll settle down to around $150 after a while.

$300 is a lot of money to me too, don't get me wrong, but... Just try to build a PC with better graphics than an XB for below that. Unlikely at $300, impossible at $150.

12. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I'll check that out. Thanks! :)

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I worked for Intel on contract for a few months last year. My job was to test new chips on PC boards. These chips I tested were three or four times faster than anything on the market today. The chips were scheduled to be released in mid 2006. I asked one of the engineers why these chips we were testing are not for the public yet. He gave me a few reasons.

For one, the PC makers need to catch up to them. For two, there is more money in gradually increasing the chip power as noted by Hurley. He mentioned that people will gladly gradually purchase faster and faster chips, but if they were to release an ultra-spendy mega-fast chip tomorrow, not many people would buy it.

-Mike

14. Psyrcle

Psyrcle Guest

If they released the ultra fast chip tomorrow people wouldn't buy it because they would have to spend an arm and a leg to get it. you would spend say $300 for a good motherboard and if tomorrow they released one that was 10 times better, the price would reflect it. Corporate people make me hurt things!

15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'd just like to say a lot of thought seems to go into graphics and whatnot... and it seems storylines/FUN are taking a hit. Most video games now are fun to look at... but not to play.

16. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I'm just about done with FF VII on PSOne. By far, the best storyline of any game I've ever played. Graphics are awful, but I don't mind.

17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    EXACTLY! That really is the last final fantasy game to hold any interest for me. And the main guy had blocky popeye arms.

18. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    If I can get a guarentee on any (or all!) the following specs, I'll be in love with whatever system:

HDMI output
    Digital optical output
    DVD + Blue-ray/high def dvd (whatever format they choose... )
    high def upconversion on old dvds
    DVD audio + SACD compatibility

etc.

As for evil corporate America, what do you expect? Businesses should sell things at cost so we don't have to be raped by exorbitant profit margins. Seriously dudes. (Obviously, Intel can't go straight to market with their newest chip for about a million reasons spanning from technological compatibility and feasibility to, well, profits and demand)

19. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    You know what I would want to see? A video game on PS3 or XBOX 360 with SNES graphics. An RPG that looked like ChronoTrigger, but took you, oh let's say, a year and half to complete. In one character arc. (There would be 20+, or some ridiculous number like that.) A game with simple graphics that had so much durn stuff it in that you probably couldn't do it all.

_That_ would be cool.

20. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Agreed! :D I've always wished for something like that.

I'd much rather see disk space used for the *game* itself than things like the graphics.