1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New GC experience(disapointment-guitar content)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mind Eroded, Oct 28, 2018.

1. been on the market for a while trying to find a nice Gibson archtop 6 string. I started looking into the vintage entry level ES-125 series and was intrigued by the fact that these late 50s-60s models seem to go for relatively reasonable prices, when compared to other models from that era.

Fast forward a bit and I decide to check out the local GC lo and behold..they have a 1963 ES 125 TC in stock. Not a pristine model upon first appearance and no collector’s piece by any stretch(had some non original hardware, tuners, crappy nut, etc). Played nicely enough but I figured a set up may take care of some high action on the upper registers. This guitar was hanging in the “vintage room” and I had a few questions for the sales rep, who appeared to be more of a knowledgeable/manager type of guy..not just some kid. Asked if the guitar was inspected by a tech, if the truss rod worked, if there were any issues immediately apparent, etc. I get told nothing significant and he actually tested the truss rod in front of me.(it appeared functional)

Let me just list this as a disclaimer-I understand who I am dealing with here. I know this is not a boutique vintage guitar store that will give you the entire breakdown of this particular guitar’s history. I was just looking for basic transparency, I guess.

Fast forward a bit more and after a bit of haggling, I decide to pull the trigger on the guitar. I immediately ask if the same return policy applies as to all other gear. I get told no, it does not. This guitar has a 3 day return window. This was on Thursday. Yesterday I rush this thing over to the local shop with a respected old guitar tech working there. Immediately he tells me, this thing had the neck broken off of the body at some point in its life, and had an improper neck re-set when it was subsequently repaired. He basically told me the guitar will never intonate correctly and the action on the upper frets will always be high. He advised me to bring the guitar back ASAP.a proper reset would cost just about a grand.his verdict: Guitar was effectively worthless (ofcourse after I had already paid $50 for a set up and nice new TI strings, thanks for that! Lol) He also told me that any tech would be able to see what was done to this guitar relatively quickly...which leads me to the comclusion of this sorry rant...

I know it’s GC, but shouldn’t they have some responsibility to disclose details about vintage gear when the guitar has previously underwent major surgery? Now you can paint me as a rube-and yes I did notice weird marks around the neck joint while testing it out, but I didn’t quite know what to make of it or if those marks were just checks/cracks in the finish(I am primarily a bass player, after all,and my knowledge of vintage guitars and archtops is fairly limited)

This will cool me off to buying vintage gear for a while. Had I not brought this thing in for inspection, I would of had a practicially worthless vintage piece of plywood that I paid a small fortune for...

Oh yea, pics or it didn’t happen:
    1F95753F-F916-4185-AC55-A0ABFD0BB8BC.

2. the_home

the_home Gold Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    Looks nice, but I'm guessing you didn't buy it for a wall hanger.

You don't mention whether the price you paid allows for some bit of the cost of a neck reset before you're crazy upside down in terms of the 'investment' in this vintage instrument. It's a hard way to break into the vintage guitar marketplace.

3. It would of made a beautiful wall hanger, but yes you are correct. I paid 1600 plus tax on this. So you be the judge, I guess. I was not willing to sink another grand into this.

4. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I have learned to never trust/believe anything any employee of GC says to me, regardless of their rank in the company. In my case, I didn't get burned but it was extremely educational, non the less.

saabfender likes this.
  5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

the wanker-to-expertise ratio at GC is pretty high. if you don't need expertise: GC is just another gear source. but if you do need expert advice = phone a friend!

6. Yeah, I just got a bass from GC, the post said it was in 'GREAT' condition, it is more like 'good' condition. I did call GC, person looked at it, checked the neck, etc. I was going to complain, but all they would say is to return it. I have a 18 year old bass that I used regularly I could almost put in a box & sell as new. That is "great condition'

7. Just as expected- guitar is right back up on the used GC website for the next sucker. I left handwritten notes in the hardcase from my guitar tech outlining everything wrong with the guitar. I bet that was thrown in the trash the second they put it back up for sale and will be playing stupid again.

It is most certainly not in “good” condition-unless “good” means, “cannever be intonated correctly due to improper neck repair after neck snapped off”. This is just clear misrepresentation at this time. Esp at the price it is offered at.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/G...90JsEniqTnfBkLRf5Uyq5BF1WFyCTfRsaAqJYEALw_wcB

Great business practices.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018