New gear help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by punkmetal, Mar 19, 2006.

1. punkmetal

punkmetal Guest

Jul 19, 2005
    WI (milwaukee area)
    ok so I've been saving up for a long time now and a am almost ready to buy a new bass. I've been playing my 5er for over a year and i am loving it. I have been thinking bout moving up to a 6er now, but i am having trouble deciding on which one. Its vary hard for me to test out a 6er or even a 5er cuz most of the store around me will only carry your basic selection of 4 strings :meh: I also want to stay as close to or under $1000 if i can
    i've been looking into it a bit and from other post and my own research I've narrowed it down to:

-yamaha TRB

-anything peavey cuz i have always like their products, i found this on 'bay but idk much bout it
    -<a href="" target="_blank">peavey bass</a>

-a used warwick if i can find one
    -carvin LB76

i haven't played any of these in a 6 string form or at all, any info, opinions or comments are appreciated

2. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I'd look around for a used Peavey Cirrus. They sell for over $2K new, but for some reason, resale on them is horrible (probably because few people have played the Cirrus basses, and are more familiar with their less expensive lines, and thus, the Peavey name gets little respect from the masses). Do a search for "cirrus" and see how well respected they are by the experts here.

They are often available for under or right at $1k, and they're an outright steal at that price. If you're patient, look around, and pounce on the right Cirrus, you could wind up with an absolutely AMAZING 6-string bass. :bassist:

Personally, I think you'd be hard pressed to find any other 6-string for $1k that's as good as a used Cirrus.
  3. punkmetal

punkmetal Guest

Jul 19, 2005
    WI (milwaukee area)
    does anyone have any info on the new ibanez BTB line
    the BTB 456 has a cooler finish than the 406 and it also has bart's as aposed to the stock ibanez pups
    but since its a new model info is hard to come by
  4. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Yamaha makes fine basses. I have two of them.

I also think the Peavey Cirrus is a nice bass. I'd seriously consider that as well.
  5. punkmetal

punkmetal Guest

Jul 19, 2005
    WI (milwaukee area)
    with the yamaha,
    is there a reason that the TRB's prices are so different???
    the 1006 is around $900 new and the others are $2000+. does the 1006 lack that greatly? would it still be a good choice over any other bass in the price range(i.e. the new ibanez BTB 456 or anything similar)
    also the John Myung bass by yamaha is around $1500
    would the 1006 compare to it?

i am mostly looking for a bass that i won't be dissapointed with. the only real thing that could turn me off is a lot of fret buzz or the strings clanking on the frets due to loose strings. i like any string spacing (depends on what i am playing) but a wide neck is prefered. something that is easy to move around on as well. truthfully i am at a lose cuz i kno i want to get the new one but i don't kno what bass is truly the right one cuz playing one at the store is hard to do it the store refuses to carry an instrument that to believe won't sell.

like i said ANY info one any 6er is much appreciated

6. Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX

I think you'll be happy with any of the guitars you've mentioned. I've got a TRB1005 and would definitely replace it.

As to fret buzz and noise... At that price level, if you have a buzzy bass, it's most likely a setup issue.

Following the advice contined in the truss rod/action adjustment thread in the setup group should get it taken care of. As to string spacing and feel, spend a lot of time demoing anything you are seriously considering buying.

One point to consider is that you should also check for quality used basses. You may be able to a more costly bass for less cash.
  7. punkmetal

punkmetal Guest

Jul 19, 2005
    WI (milwaukee area)
    so i was doing my usual ebay check ups and such and i remembered rondomusic
    the brice basses all have the string spacing that i am looking for.
    i figure if i spend 400 for the

or 450 for the

then put an all new EMG EQ and pups for about the same price of the bass i think i'd have a pretty sweet bass.....right:confused:
    i am also thinking that if i just boutght the bass for now and i didn't liek the 6er thing then i only would have spent about half of what i am planing.
    idk much about brice tho

to many routes to go
    any ways still waiting for my money to reach the point where i can afford the yamaha trb or peavey cirrus when i do find one
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yamaha TRB has a lot of bang for the buck. High-quality construction and great tone. That, and the headstock looks like Gumby. What could be better than that?
  9. punkmetal

punkmetal Guest

Jul 19, 2005
    WI (milwaukee area)
  10. punkmetal

punkmetal Guest

Jul 19, 2005
    WI (milwaukee area)
    i have decided to hold off one the move to a 6er for now...
    not because i have given up but i went to GC on the advice of another bassist (he said they might have a 6er in stock) and found a killer of a deal
    ibanez BTB 405 for $450, the clearenced it cuz they just got the new BTB 455 ($650) in, which is the exactsame bass, i didn't even notice a difference in the pups.
    i must say i am very happy with the xtra wide that i was essencially looking for. and the finish looks beautiful