1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Gear Questions.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Suntory, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Suntory

Suntory

Jun 8, 2012
    I'm thinking of replacing old gear and I need motivation, this stuff isn't going to last forever. How has the new gear evolved over the course of 15 or even 20 years. Are the cabinets really lighter? I love the GK combo with luggage handles and wheels and putting a second cab under it. That's the direction I'm thinking about going in.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Gear has evolved in some ways, such as many new items being a lot lighter, but like anything, there are good applications and bad applications. And there are plenty of folks who still stick with the tried and true because the new stuff isn't getting it done for them. I've seen way more tube amps on bass over the last year than at any point in my life.

But fortunately, what still counts more than anything is your playing, so bear that in mind ;)

3. One thing that has changed is there are now capable combo amps out there. They are no longer a sucker bet for beginners.

4. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Neodymium magnets have significantly reduce the weight of Cabinets. They are still plenty loud and have great sound IMO. I can carry my Avatar Cabinets in one hand.