Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Geddy Lee pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by shaunathan32, Dec 11, 2004.

1. shaunathan32

shaunathan32

Jan 18, 2004
    I love the geddy lee jazz bass. I played it in a store and the neck and playability was perfect. The bass seemed flawless but i plugged it in and didnt really get to hear what it sounded like (couldnt crank the amp it was a small crappy amp). I have heard good things and not good things about the bass's sound, so this is the only thing i would ever change because the bass plays perfectly for me. What does everone think of the current stock pickups of the bass, or if you were to change what jazz pickups should i replace? Im going to buy the bass for sure. I want a bass to sound like Hot water music's bass (hotwatermusic.com) and taking back sunday's bass. Thanks

2. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    They're great pickups, same as used in the US Vintage series basses. You really just have to play around with pickup heights. Like any pickup, but particularly a single coil, the sound changes radically with even slight changes in pickup height.

Once you get each pickup sounding good by itself, then you have to find the blend that you prefer. In general, set them to equal output (neck typically slightly lower than the bridge) and then adjust as needed with the volume pots. Try this- leave the bridge pickup on 10 and slowly turn down the neck volume. Notice how quickly the sound changes just moving the neck volume from 10 to 8. It's like a built-in midrange control.

Most of the sweetest tones result from one having pickup on 10 and the other between 10 and 7.

3. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I like (if possible) doing the tone adjustment with pickup height so I can leave both volume knobs on full. That way I don't have to twiddle knobs to get the tone right.

4. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    The Geddy's stock pickups sound pretty good to my ear.

But, being an incurable tweaker who can never be satisfied with his tone, I have changed pu's four times on my Geddy. My latest configuration is Bartolini hum cancelling J's linked with a Sadowsky onboard pre with vintage tone control. It took alot of physical mods to fit the pre, but I LOVE the tone I get from it. Great combo.

My only other thought is to go with Sadowsky hum cancelling pickups and get the full on Sad sound.

5. wwittman

wwittman

Apr 21, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    I put duncan 1/4 pounders in mine and i STILL don't think it sounds particularly good.
    Very bottom light, in comparison to every other bass guitar I own.

It has a nice neck and feel... which is why, like you!, I bought it.

But I've been very disappointed in its sound.

6. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Have any of you who find it "thin sounding" considered the bridge? I'm not a big fan of BadAss II bridges. IME they can "thin out" the sound. Not always, but sometimes. The stock pickups are fine, which leaves setup, the bridge, or the wood.

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Right, but stock pickups can be fine but not the sound you want.
    I tried a bunch of different J pickups in my Geddy.
    Sadowsky, Sd Stacks, Sd hot stacks, Villex J, DM J, Sd Antiquity II, Aero, DM Ultra Jazz, Nord 4JSE, Bart 9J
    My favorites were the Sadowsky for hum cancelling, and the Aero's for single coil. The Aero's have plenty of low end, which helped counteract the thin sound.
    The Sadowsky's are in a similar sonic space to the Ultra Jazz, not surprisingly since they're both made by Dimarzio (but DM were making the Sad pups for years before making the UJ). The Sadowsky's sound less scooped than the UJ to my ears.

8. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    True, but they aren't thin sounding pickups.

9. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Right, but I didn't say they were.

10. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Are you sure you weren't thinking it?

11. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yes, I'm sure.

12. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    +1. I played one and I loved the sound of the Geddy's stock p'ups. Different strokes...

13. shaunathan32

shaunathan32

Jan 18, 2004
    Which one of these pickups could give me the great mids like hot water music and deep lows like taking back sunday's bass. I want poppy highs and mids and really deep lows so all the strings are equally as lowed and powerful.

14. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    The guy in Taking Back Sunday is using the 5 string version of the same pickups you already have.

Play the bass through some real amps before deciding, but I really doubt you'll have any problems with the pickups.

15. wwittman

wwittman

Apr 21, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    It's occurred to me that the bridge could be part of the problem.
    I don't claim to know!
    I only know that SOMETHING about this bass sounds small.

I've been thinking of converting it to a P actually.