New Geddy Lee Solo Album- Best this year

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by JWC, Jan 28, 2001.

1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    I know there is a thread about this album already, but whoever posted it spelled Geddy wrong. "Getty" I believe it was. And this man deserves a thread with his name spelled right.

With all the crap out there, this is truly a silver lining in the dark cloud of what today's music has regressed into. This is why I like "My Favorite Headache" which is the best album of 2000 IMO.

1. No muffled vocals- I think that ever since Alice In Chains came out, singers have been muffling their voices like Layne Stanley. Muffled vocals, like those in Creed and Godsmack have exceeded their welcome. It is a cop out for real singing and voice projection. Geddy's voice as we all know is very distinct and sounds nothing like all these post-grunge fools out there trying to make a buck. He projects his voice well and sings with alot of emotion and heart.

2. The bass playing of course. In today's music, we don't really have any bands with great bassists. I mean, what happened to all the John Paul Jones, Chris Squires, etc? His old school, technicality on the bass is a breath of fresh air in today's crap music.

3. The overall musicianship is wonderful. Matt Cameron from Soundgarden does an excellent job on the skins.

4. The sound is true to the artitst. Geddy makes great rock and roll here, and I seriously doubt by judging that he hoped to win over the MTV sheep with this effort. This music has warmth and depth, with truly great and unique lyrics.

Check this album out.
  2. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    You're right, there was a thread about this.
  3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

While I have tremendous respect for Geddy Lee as a musician, I have never cared one bit for his voice. I have tried to appreciate it, but I just can't. That is just a personal opinion. I also happen to like the singing voices of Layne Staley and the singer for Creed. I guess I like "muffled" voices. Anyway, Lee has been far more successful than I will ever be and I do respect him for his acheivements.

jason oldsted
  4. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Jason, we are all entitled to our own opinions of course. My uncle who used to be a bassist in a band back in the 70s, who is a huge fan of music can't stand Geddy's vocals either. I don't think his vocals are an acquired taste. I think either you are going to like them or you are not. I liked muffled vocals when Layne Stanley did them, but that was his own unique style. I hate all the knock offs but then again that is my own opinion. I am sure that I wouldn't like a Geddy knock off, but who knows!