New Geddy Lee...What a deal!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Psycho Funk, Aug 23, 2003.

1. Just got a new Geddy Lee Jazz after reading you guys gush over them and I have to say I'm impressed. Factory setup and strings were very close to my liking and the neck, fret work weight all very good. Sound like a Jazz and the pickups are powerful. Haven't mastered the neck/bridge PU and tone pots yet since this is my first Jazz but the tone is great. Still playing around.
    I own, or have owned, Pre EB 'Ray, Lakland, Roscoe and Fodera for some perspective. There CAN'T be a better deal for a Jazz Bass.
    Down sides that I've found so far are the Tuners seem pretty weak, I'll replace them and the Pick guard. Anyone have any pickup suggestions? Anyone put a J-Retro preamp in a Geddy?

Just thought I'd thank those contributors to the forum who helped me find a nice bass.
  2. Didn't take any yet but it is a standard GL Jazz, black with maple board and Black blocks.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    What a deal!!!!!!!!!! Wait a second, we dont know what you paid.
  4. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    pic's, it's a rule!:D
  5. my guess is that he calls it a huge deal cuz he paid less money and got a bass that is either as good or better than an MIA fender jazz.
    yea..if I was to get a fender jazz,I'd love to get a geddy.
  6. Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Benavente - "Geddy Lee" :D

7. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I'm glad your happy with it. I know I love mine.
    For the price that they go for, and for what you get it's a great deal IMO.

What's funny is, we all know whet a GL Jazz looks like, but we still want to see more of them.

8. I'll get some pics up. By deal I really mean value for price, I paid about the retail of $620. It's a heck of a bass for that price and I own a few worth 4 times that.
  9. DRW

Jul 16, 2003
    San Diego, Cal.
    I was at GT yesterday looking at the Geddy lee jazz. I have been researching this bass as well as the mia jazz and I think ill end up with the Geddy Lee. GREAT DEAL and SOUNDS GREAT:D
  10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002

Damn. That's probably the most swank bass I've ever seen. How much is it? What does it sound like? What does it play like?

I'd continue, but I need to get a mop to clean up the big puddle of drool at my feet.
  11. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
  12. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i ordered one too. it will show in september.

for sure i'll add a tortoise shell pickguard.

i'll try to understand the bass and the pickups and if the tuners will be weak i'll add Schaller or Hipshot.
  13. Prego,

So far I've been very happy with the GL. The neck needs a little adjustment after the travel. I'll probably get some hipshots and a pick guard.

It's easy to play and good aggressive jazz tone. I'm a Pre EB guy and this adds a new tone. The Open E lacks a little "clarity" but hey it's a $600 bass.