new geddy vs. older geddy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mindflow, Oct 6, 2005.

1. mindflow

Oct 31, 2004
    San Diego
    i have a 2000 or 2001 geddy and my friends 98 limited edition sounds better to me. more clear and sharp high end, the pickups are hotter. my pickups sound dull compared side by side. were the original 98 "limited" runs made any better? different pickups or anything? it seems like a pretty big difference to me.
  2. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Are your strings dead? The Geddys sound terrible with dead strings.
  3. mindflow

Oct 31, 2004
    San Diego
    hmmm, they seem to play fine. maybe ill change them and compare them
  4. Sorry for my ignorance, but if its Active also try changing the battery.

- Andrew
  5. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Nah, they're passive. And I'm quite curious myself if there is a difference between that older "Limited" run Geddy compared to the newer ones.

6. I have older one and AFAIK, they are same except for the neck plate
  7. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    The new ones come with a gig bag. It's sucking the tone right out.
  8. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
  9. JebusChrist

May 23, 2005
    I heard that the first runs had very thin necks (thinner than the new ones), but they changed them and made em a little thicker. doubt that has anything to do with tone, but can anyone tell me if thats false?
  10. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Does he have replacements?
  11. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    Pickup height adjustment?
  12. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Just the usual difference in individual wood quality etc.?
  13. mindflow

Oct 31, 2004
    San Diego
    they pretty much look the same to me as far as pickup height. it sounds to me like a pickup difference rather than anything to do with better woods. the tone is just completely different. the pickups are all stock. i havent tried changing thhe strings although i dont think thats it because mine are pretty new.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    How does the unplugged sound of your bass compare with your friend's? That's how you REALLY tell the difference. Pickups won't do you a bit of good if the acoustic sound isn't as good.
  15. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I tried a Geddy model a year or so ago and I presume it was a more recent model. The neck was thin even by J-bass standards. Super easy to play! It was commented that the 1st run limited addition Geddy's may have had thinner necks. Some how, I doubt that. Any thinner and we'd be in the big hair 80's territory. More so, without graphite rod reinforcement, I'd think a thinner neck would snap with even moderate use.

As for the pickups, I thought the Geddy model always used Fender US Vintage J's. Maybe its like everyone is saying, it’s a pickup height adjustment issue. On the other hand, no two hunks of alder and maple are the same. It’s not unusual to pick up identical axes and find that they somehow sound a bit different.

16. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Just because you have newer strings doesn't mean that your strings are the same as his. Different strings can sound radically different. Also, were your settings the same (volumes, tone control, same amp/EQ)?