Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Genre-Busting Hip Hop/Country CD

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Boplicity, Apr 20, 2001.

1. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

My local newpaper ran a story today, April 20, about Jim White, a hillbilly beat poet, who has released a new CD that marries his lyrics with banjo and drum loops.

The album, "No Such Place", on Luka Pop Records, is said to be an attention grabber from the very first cut. A single, "Handcuffed to a Fence in Mississippi" is getting some radio play.

White's music is described as "semi-comic portrait of pure resignation." His lyrics are "bent, but picturesque and very humane tales."

He is currently touring small clubs opening for other bands.

JO

2. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    hmmmm......

Country/Rap....

They could call it

CRAP

3. Boplicity

Dang me! That thar jist cracked me up!!!!

(I've been posting some of these news items about unusual recordings to perk up the Recordings folder a bit. Maybe someone will find something they like...or maybe not.)

JO

4. Boplicity

Hey, I just found this CD at Amazon.com! I listened to the four tracks they have on Real Audio. This is NOT hip hop, no matter how you cut it. It is what I'd call alterna-country.

Some other songs on the CD include "Ten More Miles to Go on a Nine Mile Road" and "GOd Must Have Been Drunk When He Made Me."

The album is a hoot, but is isn't hip hop...no way.

jo

5. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Oh by the way that wasn't a slam at the artist or his music. Since I haven't listened to it I wouldn't know. I was just makin' a funny. I t very well could be great music. There have been a couple of attempts to combine Rap and country that have turned out to be just that CRAP.
    Neal McCoy did some and some other guy who's name I can't rememeber...something like Rodneycrowelll or something

6. Boplicity

Which gets me to wondering, what would REAL country/rap be like? I'm thinking loops of pedal steel, "fiddles", drums, country style bass, keys, acoustic and electric guitar, some slide. The "singer" would rap just like Snoop Dog or DMX, but over samples of classic country songs, looped in and out...say Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings. or Johnny Cash...for examples.

Of course, the rap would not be about ghetto life or gansta-life, but instead deal with the typical topics of country songs. The rapper would have a country accent...twang would be a prominent feature of the music.

Gotta say,though, I don't know if such a combination would be pleasing to any one's ears.

JO

7. I know Beck has been doing the same sort of genre melding stuff (ie rap and country) for a while, but its still cool when someone else does it.

There's a couple performers I've seen here in Madison that do stuff along the same lines.