Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Genz Benz 400w head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gnome01, Aug 8, 2002.

1. gnome01

gnome01

Oct 30, 2001
    Bronx NY, USA
    anyone tried one of the new Genz Benz heads? I'm thinking about trading in my newly aquired but very unreliable SWR SM400s for one of the 400w GB heads. Any comments?

2. gnome01

gnome01

Oct 30, 2001
    Bronx NY, USA
    no one's tried one of these? (ok actually I'm just trying to give this thread a lift;)

3. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    They just introduced that head at the summer NAMM show. I haven't seen the GBE 600 either but I have heard some positive feedback about it.

4. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Here's a bit of information on the GBE 600 head.

GBE 600

5. voionmaa

voionmaa Guest

Apr 3, 2002
    i tried the GB600 with a Genz Benz Live 410 cab. The head was underpowered for the speaker cab but sounded really good. I ended up buying an Eden WT1000 power amp, 900W in bridged mode, and use a BassPOD as the pre-amp. Needed a more dirty sound and wanted more power in case I wanted to get another 410 cab.

The GB600, to my recollection, was only about 250 - 275 Watts at 8 ohms. I liked the tube pre-amp section and the 5 band EQ was pretty nice. A pretty clean sounding amp. Would rate it right there with the new Mesa Boogie amps as I A/B'd them next to each other.

6. gnome01

gnome01

Oct 30, 2001
    Bronx NY, USA
    hmm, if the GB600 was underpowered for a 4x10, I wonder if the GB500H would work for my 2 4x8 cabs. seems like 400 watts @ 4 ohms would be plenty - maybe I should try the 600 anyway.

7. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Here's a Product Development Engineer that works for Genz Benz who hangs out over at HC quite frequently. He has also dropped in on the HC Bass Forum a few times and fielded questions. Shoot him some email.

agedhorse

8. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    someone should pm jauqo about this. he and i tested it out at namm. i twiddled knobs while he played. sounded great. i'll stick with my swr though.