Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Genz Benz head!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MentalBass, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Hey all,

You wouldn't know this by checking the Genz Benz website, but they've released (or are just about to release) a new head, presumably to replace the GBE600. It's called the GBE750, and it's basically the GBE1200, but in two rack spaces instead of three. Two blendable channels: one tube (with a single 12AX7), the other FET, and a SS power amp delivering 400 W into 8 Ohms, 675 W into 4 Ohms, or 750 W into 2 Ohms. Pretty sweet, huh? It's also got separate parametric EQ's for each channel, just like its big brother :p Any thoughts from people who have seen or played it? Also, anyone who owns and/or plays a GBE1200, can you tell me about its strengths and weaknesses in terms of tone and tonal possibilities? What type of music is it good for, and what is it not so good at?

Peace!

2. VERY COOL!!!! When I saw that huge 1200, the first thing I though is if they could do something similar (between the 600 and 1200) in a two rack space unit. I may have to check one of those out. They are fabulous for the price.

Thanks for the info, and I look forward to hearing from GB users. I briefly played out of a 600 and was very impressed... very warm and punchy and plenty loud.

K

3. Oops, sorry. Forgot to include the link to where I first saw it.
    http://www.clubbass.ca/

It's a store here in Toronto. Really great, high-end stuff that puts to shame most boutique amps, and for very reasonable prices.

Peace!

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Okay, I'm officially along for this ride! :p

5. Just took a look at that link. Looks awesome... but 33 pounds is still quite heavy for me. I would still like to check it out though.

Interstingly, it seems this head is an 'updated' version of the old Mesa M2000.... similar switchable SS/Tube with full tone controls for each, similar power, weight and size. I really like the 'master tone' section of the GB amps... with those variable voicing filters, similar to the circuits on some of the GK amps. It looks like GB is taking some good ideas from other amps, integrating them, and making them better IMO.

6. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    I saw that, 2 new heads this year. I just bought a gbe 400 and a neo-x 2x12 cab. I love it, it is fricken loud and sounds terrific without breaking up . Funny about the MESA comment, I was told that Jeff Genzler used to work for Mesa at one time.

Now I remember where I saw it besides the link posted, page36 of feburary bass player mag

Neo pak3.5
    gbe750

7. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    I loves me some Genz-Benz!

8. R Briere

R Briere Bass-ically Yours

Gotta' Getta' Genz! :^>

9. The two eqs makes a lotta sense. Might be tradeing the gbe600 for the new one....

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Looks like it has blue lights.... I'm interested, too!

11. No comments from hasbeen? :D

12. lame(B)ass

lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    Slovakia

He is probably busy playing one somewhere at NAMM. BASTAGE! :D :bassist: :D

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Wow, VERY cool. I think I am more interested in the Neo-Pak though.

-Mike

14. I'm playing thruogh the 2x12 and I love it. Light weight too. Was actually thinking of selling the GBE600 and getting one of Pete Skjolds preamps. Way fewer knobs and more the tone I'm after.

15. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Pete's preamp is, indeed, really something special.

Tom.

16. Ever since I played through the prototype its been in my head. Can't seem to forget about it. I liked it flat, like I could just take the knobs off it flat.

17. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    I would trade in my GBE600 just to get the blue lights! ;)

Genz-Benz amps can do just about anything. Not just, adjust the knobs and get a decent sound, type of "do anything," but a musical sounds that works well. If you've got any specific questions, fire 'em out.

My experience speaking with them was great. Jeff was out of town, so forwarded it one of the ladies in the office who shipped out my speaker that day (without any proof, it was like, "Give me your address and I'll ship it out to you today"). Amazing service! :bassist:

18. It's official, everybody! After a year of debating, researching, A/B'ing, playing and searching for reviews, I've decided on my rig!

In the spirit of this thread, I thought I'd post it here. As sweet as the GBE750 looks, I'm gonna splurge and get the GBE1200, along with a Mesa Powerhouse 4x10 and a Powerhouse 1x15. This thing will SLAY. Any thoughts?

Peace!

19. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    Nice. Great move to put one in the middle off the 600 and 1200.

Now hows about that all tube Genz Benz head. :)

20. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Oh yeah! :D