1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Genz Benz Rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ryan L., May 14, 2006.

1. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Ok, here's the deal--on Friday night, I sold my Ampeg rig, so on Saturday, I went and picked up a brand new GB410T XB-2 cabinet (and a new Grundorf rack). Next weekend, I am probably going to pick up a head, but am not too sure which one I want to go with.

The two in question are essentially the same, just that one has more power-the GBE750 or the GBE1200. The extra couple hundred bucks for the 1200 is pretty much a non-issue, and I do have room for it in my rack. I am going from an SVT4 Pro into a single 410 cabinet, so I am used to using a high powered head and not over-eqing and blowing speakers. The 410 is rated at 700 watts, so I wouldn't be pushing way too much into the cabinet with the 1000 watt 1200 head, whereas I would be pushing 675 into it with the 750.

I guess my main question is this: Is the extra power/headroom from the 1200 worth the extra $$, rack space, and weight, or should I just get over my bigger-is-better attitude and go with the less powerful 750, and save some money and some weight in my rack??

I'm just looking for opinions here, so offer up whatever your thoughts are on it.

EDIT: I went ahead and picked up the GBE750.

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Its always a good idea to get more power than you need. I know a guy who runs a QSC 3404 (or whatever the name of the model is) into a Bergie 322 and it sounds great. Plus a bigger head allows for an easier expantion cab wise if you so desire.

3. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yeah, I am used to having a lot of power on tap (old rig was SVT4 Pro into an SVT410HLF), so that is kind of why I am thinking along the lines of the bigger head.

4. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I'm considering the GBE750 as my next amp as well. From everything I've read about it so far (and all GB amps for that matter) I think it is very conservatively rated in the power department. I think it would push more than the 675w at 4 ohms that it's specifications indicate.
    The only thing that puts me off of the GB is that it weighs in at 33lbs.

5. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I haven't played through the 1200, they would have to order me that one in (I was told it would be here within a week), but I have spent quite a bit of time now with the 750. Of course, this is in a music store, but it really seemed to have plenty of power on tap. That is the main reason for my wondering if it would be worth my while to get the big dog, or if the difference will be slight enough not to bother.

6. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

7. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    I've played the 1200. Its got enough power to drive a couple of sealed Bergs;) It's also one of the most versatile amps I've played (because of the tube blend), but you already know all about that.

8. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    That is one of the main reasons that I am going with the GB stuff--I was very impressed with the variety of sounds that I could get out of it. And they have that punchy (not boomy) sound that I am after.

9. The weight and power of the GBE 1200 and the SVT4 Pro are about the same. You are saving some weight with the cab, but what about the efficiency of the cabs? You are used to hauling the weight, but you are also used to having all the power you could possibly need. In your position I would err on the side of caution and get the 1200. Personally, the GBE 600 more than meets my needs. But you play in a different situation.

10. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Good point Aaron. I am used to having a ton of power, but I was also feeding that into a fairly ineffecient cabinet. The GB cab is supposedly much more effecient (on paper, anyway), so the 750 may provide all that I need. And, I am hoping not to need the serious volume that I once did on stage. But, then there are the "what if's"........I dunno, I may just have em get me the 1200 to be safe.

11. mettec

mettec

Aug 22, 2005
    Minneapolis
    Hey Ryan! I am not sure if you seen my reply in the thread GBE750 users from yesterday but here it is again.

I just bought a Neox 212 to go with my GB 410T-XB2 cab and GBE750 amp. It is very loud and powerful. I play in a hard rock/metal group and on stage I was blowing the soundman away with this setup. My levels never go past the 12 o'clock mark and I still get no clipping just a nice warm growl out of the amp/cabs. You will be totally pleased with the GBE750. Best amp and cabs (next to Berg's) that I have ever played through and I have tried dozens of manufactures. If you have any questions about the Genz Benz gear let me know.

12. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    Hello Ryan;
    Just my two cents- going from a 750 to a 1200 won't offer that much more head room if you're still going through one cab. No matter how many watts you add, 4 speakers is only going to move so much air.

I will often hear bassists say, regardless of what brand amp they play: "jeez, this amp company says their amp is 900 watts. It doesn't sound like 900 watts...I run into clipping way too early". I will usually find that they are asking their one speaker cab to produce a loudness that it can't. So they then turn up their amp. Now, since the cab was already at terminal velocity anyway, it doesn't get any lounder, the amp just starts clipping. So, the player thinks the amp isn't powerful enough.

Also, adding a second cab will increase your "loudness" much more then adding watts will.

13. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    It was mainly the headroom that I was wondering about. I cannot foresee any situation in the future where I would need more volume than a single 410 is capable of.

I think I am going to go with the 750. Hopefully I can pick it up this weekend.:)

14. RSchuster

RSchuster

Jan 27, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    Not to hijack the thread or anything, but are there any GBE600's left with major distributors? Or have they all sold?

15. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    well, there's only one distributor in the U.S. and they (we) don't have any left. However, I'm sure some retailers have some. Rich Brier (TB forumite) would be a good contact to try.

16. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Now for a really dumb question:

What is the correct pronunciation for Genz?? Does the G sound like a G, or a J??:bag:

17. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    G not J

18. mettec

mettec

Aug 22, 2005
    Minneapolis
    Ryan, did you get your GBE750 or GBE1200 yet?

19. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND

I am leaving to go pick up the 750 right now.

20. mettec

mettec

Aug 22, 2005
    Minneapolis
    Cool! You won't be dissappointed.

I actually had a fellow bassist come up and sit in on a couple songs last night and he was amazed how incredible my rig sounded. This is from a guy who has been a Ampeg 8x10 & SVT Classic user almost all his playing life and told me at one time that nothing sounds as good as Ampeg for hard rock. Now he said that he is going to look into GB.