New Genz Benz Shuttle 3.0-10T / STL-10T Issues......Any Ideas??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Laredo, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Laredo

Laredo

Nov 27, 2005
    Upstate, NY
    I have a fairly new Shuttle 3.0-10T Combo Amp that I really love.............So I recently (about two weeks ago) added the STL-10T Extension Cabinet. I only had a chance to play the complete set-up twice, since I have been traveling.

Each time I get a buzz out of the new extension cabinet, similar to a blown speaker, or a bad Neo magnet. Ironically, there are times it sounds fine?? I have tried various speaker cables, and nothing changes. I am currently using a high-end Monster 3 foot SP-1000 with Speak-On connectors. Sometimes when I turn the amp off, then back on the vibration seems to go away??

Like I said it has only been played twice, so I'm not sure what it could be.............I know that Neo magnets and Tweeters can sometimes be damaged in shipping, even with a new cabinet.............Maybe this could have happened??

Not sure how to approach this as I purchased it (and paid shipping) from a dealer on the opposite coast. These little extension cabinets are not cheap, so I want to make sure there is no issues! As it is now, the STL-3.0 sounds better by itself then when the STL-10 Extension Cabinet is added. I know there must be a problem, because the Combo Cabinet is so powerful on it's own.

Thanks! :)

2. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Not sure, but you can bet one of the Genz Benz guys will be posting here shortly with a solution.

3. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    Have you contacted the dealer yet? maybe they can swap you out for a new cabs..
    Things do happen in shipping..
    Someone from GB may chime in soon to help you...
    Their CS is second to none and rest assured your issue will be resolved ... It is a holiday weekend so not sure if they are out and away getting some good needed rest.. but they are pretty good at finding this stuff to help.

4. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    I bought two Genz Benz NeoX-112T cabs and BOTH buzzed. Trouble was, the cable connecting the speaker to the crossover was TOUCHING the speaker cone in both cabs. It should have been tied back. A lapse in quality control. A twistie in each cab solved that problem. It's easy to remove the woofer to check this.

5. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    This is a possibility, it's also possible that the driver or cabinet got damaged in shipping. If it's not something simple like a wire touching, give Scott or Robert a call Tuesday morning at the factory and one of them will help you get this resolved.

Just to be sure, first check with another known good speaker cable... a loose connection in the speaker cable can also cause identical symptoms. This is not uncommon with SpeakOns, some folks still haven't figured out how to assemble them properly (even manufactured ones).

6. Laredo

Laredo

Nov 27, 2005
    Upstate, NY
    Ukiah Bass - Interesting, I have never heard of that before (with Genz-Benz). I have owned several GB Amp Heads, but not as many of their Cabinets.

agedhorse - Thanks for the information! :) I did try different cables (as mentioned in the OP).........But I have many Speak On Cables, so I will try a third one out. I will take you up on the offer this coming Tuesday.

7. conundrum

conundrum

May 10, 2008
    Canada
    OP, did you find out what was wrong?

8. Laredo

Laredo

Nov 27, 2005
    Upstate, NY
    I was traveling last week, so I did not have the time to look into it further at this point...............:rollno:

9. Laredo

Laredo

Nov 27, 2005
    Upstate, NY

I know a few people asked me about this issue, so I figured an update was due................;)

I did not send the cabinet back, or even go as far as GB Customer Service. I may have just been as simple as a wire vibration as "Ukiah Bass" also experienced. After taking a quick look inside, it appeared as if the "buzzing" may be easily fixed. I re-routed (and secured) the slack in the wiring and so far so good. There have been no issues since!

Hopefully, just an easy fix, and a happy ending! :)

BTW: This small combo with the extension cabinet really kicks..............An awesome little rig, with huge sound!! :eek:

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021