1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Genzler Magellan 800 arriving- Any suggestions re: Favorite settings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DAcat, Nov 23, 2017.

1. DAcat

DAcat Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    I just bought a Genzler Magellan 800 which should be arriving next week. I did not buy the new Genzler cabs which sound like they may be pretty cool as well, but here is a list of my current cabs in case you'll be asking...
    1. Genz Benz Uber 410 (4 ohm)
    2. Mesa PH 410 (4ohm)
    3. Mesa PH 212 (4ohm)
    4. Two EarCandy 212 BassBombs
    (4ohms)
    5. A homemade 112 (4ohm)

I was curious what new owners of this amp have felt as far as their tonal experiences with this amp so far, and if you had any favorite settings. I am esp interested in settings that cut through the mix and are not overbearing yet are still articulate in live venues over the total 4 string frequency range.
    Peace ... DAcat

S-Bigbottom and svtb15 like this.
  2. 3bc

3bc Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Chicago Burbs
    I just got mine as well and I have not had a chance to play with a full group. But playing with the drums I can tell you that contour B is much more musical than contour A. Contour A seems to be a great setting for when you are playing all by yourself but the notes get lost pretty quick when you add drums. Also, a little dab will do ya. On my $$ pushing past 10 o'clock or so on either contour seemed to be counterproductive.

A Mesa sound can be had by cutting the mids down to about 9 o'clock with the frequency set at about 1 o'clock.

I do like the drive channel with the gain set around noon. Rounds things out and warms it up, not for every situation but for jamming a JPJ bass line or something pretty cool. The drive channel doesn't cascade the gain enough to give you a real overdrive tone. Even really digging in on the mid range type of material it targets at full blast (around the world intro for instance) I can't get a similar driven tone to the original recording.

The Diaper Geni and DAcat like this.
  3. The Diaper Geni

The Diaper Geni Submissive. And loving it. Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    Loves me some B Contour. Especially with a smidge of the Drive Channel thrown in.

I use both at about 9:00-ish. Great warm tone that can help punch through a dense mix.

Plus, the MG800 is punchy as heck and can get loud if need be. I love mine!

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  4. The Diaper Geni

The Diaper Geni Submissive. And loving it. Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    Also, be sure to check out the Genzler mega thread. Lotsa good info in there.

5. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    I don't know about the Genzler stuff, but if the Genz-Benz design aim of clean and uncoloured 'what goes in comes out but louder' has been continued then do as I do with my Shuttle - all EQ flat with master volume to suit and you are good.
    YMMV.

6. DAcat

DAcat Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    :smug::rolleyes:Well, I finally got my Genzler Magellan 800 - and my, what an amp. When my wife first heard me playing around on it, she said my playing never sounded as good as this before. Every bass that I have played through this amp has sounded better than it ever did before and each bass 's distinct musical voicing can be heard more than with any other amp I've ever played thru. I have not played with the band but hope this weekend. It looks to punch thru the mix nice and clean.
    Peace, DAcat:cool:

SteveCS and S-Bigbottom like this.
  7. Drive and contour B at 10-11 o'clockish all else flat. When I want to change the sound I just change where and how hard I pluck, from percussive thumpin' to just putting a pillow under a note, the Genzler responds to your hands beautifully.

If you are a clean player do not be scared of the Drive. I was not a fan of having the Drive, but it is not a distortion like other amps, unless full on, even then it is different. It puts in a bit of something that gives a nice uppercut to my below the belt thumpin', it is still a yummy clean sound. I never turn it off. :thumbsup:

Genzler_amp_settings_zpsgzkva7s4.

If you have not already read it, more info and fun is at this Thread. Genzler Amplification Club
    Enjoy your new BOOM box. :bassist:

SteveCS likes this.
  8. Yeah... I've been playing mine a while. I got one of the early ones. It really does allow the bass and the cab to shine (or not if they are crappy ones). The head does have some serious authority in every register but it doesn't seem to add too much additional color beyond what you bring with the rest of the signal chain and your fingers. At the same time the EQ, contours, and dirty channel give a lot of power to shaping your tone however you want it. FWIW, I have a single Genzler BA12-3 for my cab and thus far it has meet all of my needs. I play weekly in a church band and occasionally as a side player for some singer songwriters and in two different original bands.

So... For my fretless Bee Bass Groovebee, I pretty much leave it flat. It doesn't need anything but the volume control turned to where it needs to be. It just sings. For my fretted Sire V7, I drop the treble to about 11:00 and bring up contour B to about 9:00-10:00. That helps to smooth out any fret clank but still lets the bass sound like a good Jazz bass.

9. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    As predicted...