1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New German pickup system

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by BelfastBass, May 2, 2005.

1. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    I got toby's pick up in the mail and it is a very interesting concept. It is a contact mic that imbeds into the E foot facing and touching the bridge table. It needs 9 volts of phantom power and I thought i had an old Schertler around here but I must of sold it. Does anyone have an old Schertler preamp or K+K preamp (for the golden trinity) to loan or sell cheap?
    best,
    piro

2. PM sent

3. Flatback,

Could that have been a 'Balsereit' pickup you mentioned in your earlier post?

They are made by German luthier Willy Balsereit. I use one myself.

It's probably the best I've tried so far (out of Bass Max, Bass Twin, David Gage).

It's a conical brass piezo pickup that fits into a (conical) hole (made by a cello peg reamer) in the 'E' leg. You can adjust the tone fairly radically by rotating it in the hole.

Though, it took a bit of guts/madness to decide to drill a hole in my bridge, I must admit!

4. jonas

jonas

Dec 9, 2003
    Frankfurt am Main/Germany
    Kontrabass-Atelier, Lando Music (Germany)
    No, the (new) pickup made by Tobias Poehling is not the Balsereit pickup. It's not at all similar to the Balsereit: the contact mic (no piezo) is placed at the end of the bridge's leg, almost touching the top. Only the cable coming out of a small hole is visible ...
    I've pictures of both pickups at my pickup overview page at www.doublebassguide.com

5. I was actually referring to the 'mystery' pickup mentioned by Flatback in post #4 of this thread, which seems to fit the description of a Balsereit to me.

I realise the Tobias Poehling is somewhat different.

6. BTW, have you used the Balsereit yourself Jonas? I seem to recall you had some good words for it on your site at one stage.

7. jonas

jonas

Dec 9, 2003
    oh, yes ...
    I think you're right: this seems to be a description of the Balsereit.

8. jonas

jonas

Dec 9, 2003
    yes, I still use them on two of my basses. The Balsereit is certainly among the best sounding piezo-type pickups on the market today. If you don't mind to drill in 10mm hole into your bridge, you get a pickup which is very easy to use, and to EQ.

9. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    quote:Could that have been a 'Balsereit' pickup you mentioned in your earlier post?
    They are made by German luthier Willy Balsereit. I use one myself.

Yea thats the pick up. It just seemed like such a big hole to dig in the bridge. but it sounded better then what I was using at the time.
    I'm a little worried about Toby's for the same reason...imbed it in a new bridge and if you don't find it to your liking...I guess you could plug the bridge with wood...
    Anyway i have high hopes for this pick up. Tobias told me that the reason the schertler type contacts(Dyn B Stat B)have so much woofyness is cause they have an air chamber behind the mic where as this one is surrounded by bridge on three sides and the contact surface is on the table. Will that sound any better? Well it ain't a piezo.
    After going thru a slew of piezos I've come to believe that they all sound the same at some level. There is always that point where you are playing along and you hear that whiny flat midrangy sound that is so annoying.
    Jonas, was Tobys pick up that you heard (at the musik fair) comparable to any you've heard before? What was it plugged into?

10. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I haven't experienced any woofyness with the Stat-B... it provides an unbelievably clean sound as far as I can tell. Why use a pickup that needs to be drilled into the bridge, when there's a similar electrostatic contact mic on the market that is so easily installed/removed? I don't see the appeal.

11. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    I think because of the placement. The pick ups that I have found sounded best are all way down the E side leg or under it...So the idea of a contact mic on the table in the sweet spot with a lot of isolation is worth listening to.

12. jonas

jonas

Dec 9, 2003
    It was plugged into a Schertler Pub. It sounds quite good, but I don't dare to compare it to other pickups yet. The circumstances at the fair weren't really suitable for sound evaluation and comparison. Too loud and crowdy there, and I don't know how Toby's bass sounds with other pickups, either.