1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Gibson Bass(es), When did THIS happen?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by madjazzbass, Dec 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. madjazzbass

madjazzbass Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    So - I just discovered/found out about these new Gibson Basses and they look GREAT! I think they'd look even better with a matching headstock, but it's still a Very sharp looking Bass. I never thought I'd want to Gibson bass, but this one looks really cool; Anyone out there have one of these? or even tried one out yet?

Attached Files:

2. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    You haven't seen the new Thunderbirds?
    180018454-front-large-1.

TDR1138, Tbone76 and madjazzbass like this.
  3. madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Nah, I haven't seen them, they're cool, but they're not my style.

jd56hawk likes this.
  4. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    The cherry looks nice!

Upon first glance I thought these still had the same useless bridge, but it appears they finally redesigned it.

At 1/4 the price, the new Epiphone T-Birds (with the vintage bridge & tailpiece) look nice as well.

5. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    The Gibson EB 4/5 bass? No, I haven't. I did fool around with it's 2013 predecessor, which looked much more Fender-ish. And drew a lot of heat for it, too. Even wrong handed, it was a very pleasant feeling bass to play. And, never having played any Gibson bass before, it was a pleasant revelation, tone-wise. Sadly, IIRC, they weren't on the very short list of lefty basses they made that year. So, I bought a Thunderbird, instead... And, no I don't regret it, either. As a guess, I'd imagine the new one's are pretty much the same - just a lot less Fender-looking. 2018 is another "handful 'o lefties" year; and, no, I can't buy one of those - again. So, I just bought a Thunderbird - again. Gibson, for some arcane reason, seems very reluctant to admit that they even make basses. You have to really snoop around, if you want one, IME. But, maybe the local Sam Ash will get some of these (like last time); I'd like to fool with one...:whistle:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
    Tbone76, Gaolee and ajkula66 like this.
  6. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    They've been around for a year now, and there's a pretty long thread about them:

2017 Gibson EB redesign

Feel free to skip the first 15 pages because no one had played any of those at that point in the game...and proceed to the actual owner experiences later on in the thread...

I've played the 4-string version and liked it a lot - especially at the given price range - but was not pleased with the neck profile which is definitely aimed at folks who wanted a change from the "old school" offerings. I may very well end up getting one for my son, though, since these basses offer a very nice array of sounds.

My $0.02 only...

Tbone76 and madjazzbass like this.
  7. madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Thanks, Much Appreciated